PDA

View Full Version : Foam under tank?

xtopher
10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
How important is this on a wood stand that is level?

bassman
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I have had tanks sit on both wood and foam. All my current tanks are on foam. Can't hurt that's for sure.

Whatigot
10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
foam schmoam.

justinl
10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I think it's important. Wood can change shape over time. Honestly, if your stand really is plane, the change over time will be small... probably negligible. Still, I am paranoid so I always use a sheet of neoprene foam. certainly doesn't hurt.

whiteice669
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
where are you getting neoprene foam ?

xtopher
10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I should specify that the tank has a plastic trim that lifts the tank anyways.

Pier Pressure
10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Please be advised that if you buy a new matching stand and tank and then put anything between the stand and tank you may very well be voiding your warranty. We had a 150 gallon blow out its bottom silicone seams twice (about eleven months apart). The first time we accepted a replacement, the second time I insisted on getting my money back. The company went for this but only because I did not have anything between the tank and stand. They told me flat out that would void the warranty. Just FYI.

justinl
10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
You should be able to get neoprene foam cheap at a Home depot or something. Failing that, go to a camping supplies store. The cheap neoprene foam mats people use under sleeping bags is what I use. Same thing as what should be available at home depot but precut for sleeping bags, so that would be near useless for big tanks.

Please be advised that if you buy a new matching stand and tank and then put anything between the stand and tank you may very well be voiding your warranty. We had a 150 gallon blow out its bottom silicone seams twice (about eleven months apart). The first time we accepted a replacement, the second time I insisted on getting my money back. The company went for this but only because I did not have anything between the tank and stand. They told me flat out that would void the warranty. Just FYI.

very good point. I think it's stupid as what-have-you, but do take this into consideration.

Trigger Man
10-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I have the foam under my tank even though it is a metal stand. I figure just in case.

heyfredyourhat
10-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Heres what i did on my tank....I put the sump inside the stand, filled up with water, and then i poured table top epoxy over the top of the stand(after it was in the right spot of course) I used 2 gallons to make about a 3/4" or so perfectly smooth and level surface. That stuff ios amazing stuff. I def. recomend, the only problem is it is in florida and shipping is about 2-3 weeks away!....Then i put 3 sheets of that really thin white foamy stuff then my tank. One year later still as level as ever, and still holding water....knock on wood

Keri
10-30-2008, 03:38 AM
I picked up some 3/4 or 1" (I can't remember) waterproof window foam, the stuff with the sticky backside to run around the edge of the stand, under where the tank sits. I think it was like $10 for 10 feet or something but it seemed easier than having to cut straight lines myself!