PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Butterfly tank any surgestions :)

DEAD_BY_DAWN
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Well i swore i would never get another tank but after being given a 120g complete setup the other week i decided that another reef tank is not what i wanted to do.
So i decided that a mixed butterfly tank might be a possibility i was hoping that there are others out there with similar tanks so any info on stocking suggestions is appreciated .
Tank info
120 RR
30g sump
Euro Reef skimmer (Not sure what size smaller one though no box was included )
Coralife Aqualight pro 150 x2
100lbs mixed Tonga
2-3" Sandbed
Tank came with one Regal Tang + Scopas and ive just added a Copperband .

vazgor
10-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Just given a tank with rock and everything ??
man do i need your friends

ElGuappo
10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Just given a tank with rock and everything ??
man do i need your friends

No Kidding..

Kostas
10-29-2008, 05:55 AM
Long ago in a 90g I had a threadfin butterfly fish and a double-saddleback butterfly fish living together for over two years (they got along great, easy to feed not shy) I LOVED them sooo much.
But I got greedy and after two years I added one more butterfly fish it was a kleins and it didn’t eat, got sick and in the end I lost all three of my fish and was very sad.

I think three long-fin banner fish would beautiful in your tank :lol:

I’ve never seen them for sale, but my favoutire butterflyfish would be a pair of masked butterfly fish!

Either way excited to hear about what you end up getting

DEAD_BY_DAWN
10-30-2008, 04:14 AM
Thanks just added a pebbled had the little guy at the store for months but know one showed any interest in her gets along with the rest of the gang plus gave my roommates a chance to add two scotters and and a freckled hawk .

JDigital
10-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially on a 120G tank..

This is a great tank over on Nano-reef.. Butterfly FOWLR (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129999&hl=)

Start off as a fowler, until he figured out what type of corals he could keep that didn't get bothered... and its only a 40Breeder tank.

rockworm
11-01-2008, 01:08 AM
I have a 220 FO. I currently have a Heniochus acuminatus in it. I lost one in QT. It appears he got caught in the input to the MJ1200. He ended up cut on his side and did not recover. The current one made it fine and is now with teh rest of the fish.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Psycho_Ward/Aquarium/Fish/Heniochusacuminatus.jpg

Today, I picked up 3 Chaetodon semilarvatus. These were received at the local LFS where they held them to ensure they were eating.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Psycho_Ward/Aquarium/Fish/Chaetodonsemilarvatus.jpg

Other than longnose, pyramid and copperband, most butterlies are not reef. There are not many FO tank owners who will collect them safe and LFS do not get many in. I found you have to be patient in order to get butterflies. However, the upside is they are relatively inexpensive in general. I have seen threadfins, teardrop and a couple others under $30. However,aome like the semi's, tinkers, kleini and declivis are over $100 ea. A butterfly tank, in my opinion is one of the most beautiful. Mine will be a mix of angels and butterflies.

WuHT
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks just added a pebbled had the little guy at the store for months but know one showed any interest in her gets along with the rest of the gang plus gave my roommates a chance to add two scotters and and a freckled hawk .

@ jl or king eds ? The pebbled are supposed to be hardy, but rather bland (a beige look). Why i'm saying this is because i kept a punctacto, which basically looks like a yellow version with darker spots.

BTw : I attempted to keep several butterlies : failure.

One pakistani died after being sucked against my QT filter intake
My 2nd punctato stopped eating in QT.
My saddleback stopped eating in my DT
My auriga died due to me acting too slow against ich.

My heniochus is still strong though .. so those 5 would have been nice :(
Definately going to try again...as the auriga is a very simple yet hardy BF. Would like another paki, but waiting for a small one.

Keri
11-06-2008, 06:45 AM
I don't know what kind of butterflies they were but I saw some dark ones at J&L on monday that were Gorgeous!

WuHT
11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
pretty sure they were the pakistanis.