PDA

View Full Version : Go

Leah
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
While reading some of the advice given, I have a few questions to toss out
there, Iam really confused. I have 2 tanks 95 wave it is a FOWLR it is new,
new. I also have a 72 bow reef tank. Both doing great! No sumps on either.
Confusion part I use Ehiem filters on both. I thought I read that they trap
nitrates? Are you saying it is best not to use a can filter? It makes me shudder...Am I just addicted to all that extra work I put myself through? I
do small water changes weekly, if I ran without filters, would the water changes have to change.:neutral:thanks!
Leah
________
XBR500 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_XBR500)

Chad
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Canister filters in my opinion are just fine so long as you regularly clean them. On your FOWLR system I would not worry much at all. It is mostly the reef tank that should not have the canister filter.. but like I said, cleaning the canister often would help eliminate your concern. You don't really want nitrate in your reef, (which is what canister filters are good at doing, converting amonina - nitrite - nitrate ... ) ... do you have a HOB skimmer on the reef system?

Leah
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Chad
What is HOB? I do run a Remora aqua pro skimmer.
Leah
________
KTM 300EXC (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/KTM_300EXC)

Aquattro
10-28-2008, 03:39 PM
As Chad said, the fish are ok, they're probably going to generate NO3 anyway, but the reef should not have the canister. To keep it clean so it doesn't produce denitrifying bacteria, you'd have to rinse everything really well in FW at least once a week.
Even without a filter, small water changes are good to help replace trace elements used up by the corals and chemical processes.

Whatigot
10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
HOB is for Hang On Back....:mrgreen:

Chad
10-28-2008, 04:36 PM
For your reef tank, if you really want to use the canister, personally, I would remove any of the floss and or ceramic rings/rocks that are generally used in those things. Use it only for carbon / phosban etc, (these are items you need to change frequently anyways).

You are much better off sticking to your small (depending on how small they are. I do 10% weekly on a 34gal) weekly water changes and regularly cleaning your skimmer so it produces consistently.

Leah
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
As Chad said, the fish are ok, they're probably going to generate NO3 anyway, but the reef should not have the canister. To keep it clean so it doesn't produce denitrifying bacteria, you'd have to rinse everything really well in FW at least once a week.
Even without a filter, small water changes are good to help replace trace elements used up by the corals and chemical processes.

Umm, rinse what I am not following along here.:idea: Oh, do you mean from the filter! And I thought I had it all together, I know little:redface
Leah
________
vaporgenie reviews (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Whatigot
10-28-2008, 04:46 PM
my 1st reef was a small bowfront, around 30 gallons and it was undrilled and back then, a sump was a four letter word (still is i guess:razz:), but I ran a rena xp1 that I drilled a hole into, ran my heater in and sliconed around the hole I had drilled and took all the media out and packed it with LiveRock rubble and voila, mini sump with just one hole drilled.

Worked great for me and the rubble was easy to rinse detritus out of when then need arose as it was all in the media basket.