PDA

View Full Version : How many gph on powerheads for 90 gal?

Oxymoron
10-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Hello all,
I am going to install 2 powerheads into my 90 gal and was planning on going with the Koralia 3's or 4's (headrd they were one of the quietest). Was wondering how many gph per pump is suitable for the tank size.
Am wanting to buy something that would suffice for any kind of coral growth thus never needing to be upgraded. (at least for a while anyway)

Kostas
10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Well I have a 90g with two Koralia 3 (850 GPH) powerheads in my tanks, plus my rio pump from the sump. And I’m happy with the flow I’m getting (I just up graded them too)
- now keep in mind I don’t have any SPS corals and those guys love crazy flow so I guess it depends on what you plan to keep in it. Either way more it better I would say :lol:

Slick Fork
10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I would go with at least a pair of Koralia 4's.

Aquattro
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Koralias don't belong in a 90, IMO. I had one in mine for a couple of weeks, sold it at less than half what I paid.
I currently run two Tunze 6060s, and that still, again IMO, is not enough. This is with 600gph from the return.
I have a few LPS and they barely move in the tank, so for sure this isn't enough for my SPS. And I only have frags now. Once they grow up, I'll have to upgrade the flow.
Go to a LFS that has some of these Korallias running and put your hand a foot in front of it....nothing!
I know they're appealing from a cost standpoint, but you'll regret it down the road. As with everything else in this hobby, spend the right money upfront, then you don't have to respend it in 6 months (or two weeks in my case)

Doug
10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I have a pair of 4,s on one end and a Tunze 6080 on the other end. I like the Hydor,s for the lesser flow & additional flow, when needed but could not run my 90 on them alone. My 6080 can over power the both of them. Perhaps four of the 1200gph models.

The maxi-jet with the mod kit can produce some good flow also. I believe I also read a thread somewhere, in regards to using the maxi-jet mod kit on the Hydor pumps. Plus Hydor also makes a larger model now, do they not?

Parker
10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
I have two maxi mods ( I believe they are 2,200 gph each ) and one K-4, plus about 400 gph out of my return pump.

digital-audiophile
10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I used to just run to Korlia 4's in my 90 but found it was never enough so I added a Vortech. :)

jasond
10-27-2008, 03:09 PM
I did not mind the Koralia's, I just found their flow more direct. Now with the controllable Tunze's (6055), I find it is way better, plus with the controller you can really tweak it to how you like.

I would say two #4's would work great in a 90 if thats the route you are looking at.

Oxymoron
10-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Thank you all for the reply's.
I sure am glad that I asked before I bought.
I am switching to Tunze powerheads and was wondering....
Would 2 of these as well as my 600gph return pump be a system that would not need upgrading, hopefully for the life of the tank?

Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 Pump - 6065

$179.60 CDN

Inventory Status: Instock

Quantity:

Hardly any other components have experienced similar progress in aquarium engineering in the past few years as the circulation pump.

The new Turbelle stream 2 is a very compact propeller pump with a well-thought-out design used to circulate water in aquariums or tanks. It contains several innovative technical solutions and adapts to the aquarium without affecting the existing biotope.

Features:

Eco-Energetic - The innovative motor based on the eco-energetic concept and newly developed pump technology ensures a very high efficiency with very low maintenance and power consumption.
Silent Operation - Special plastic bearings, a titanium-alloy shaft and silicone absorbers enable very silent operation without wear which applies for smaller models as well as for the more powerful pumps delivering up to 30,000 l/h. (7,925 USgal./h).
Large Suction Area - The water which is drawn in passes through a giant intake strainer, and thus prevents premature clogging.
Magnet Holder - As a standard feature, Turbelle stream pumps are supplied with a magnetic holder, which enables uncomplicated attachment at any position on the aquarium pane from 3/4 inch to 1 inch thickness.
Flexible Adaptation - The ball-type design is an intelligent solution for installation with a minimum of hydraulic loss. Contrary to other pumps, they offer a lot of flexibility with respect to positioning and orientation of the water stream, which can be adjusted in such a way that an effective flow is produced over a long distance in the aquarium at lower power consumption.
Specifications of the Turbelle Stream 6065 (Non-Controllable):
Aquarium Size Range: 66 to 211 Gallons
Flow Rate: 1717 Gallons per hour
Energy Consumption: 12 Watts
Cable Length: 6.5 Feet
Pump Dimensions: 3.5 inch diameter, 2 inch outlet diameter
Magnetic holder for glass thickness up to 3/4 inch

Thank you for the advice all, it is muchly appreciated.

Aquattro
10-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes, I think this would be enough. You might need to add another one day, but for an average tank, these should cover it.

Oxymoron
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Perfect:)
Thank you kindly.