PDA

View Full Version : hippo tang

C-Hawks
04-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Was thinking of getting a Hippo Tang and was wondering what I should know. I have a 90 gallon tank with a mid sized Naso Tang, clown, and some damsels.

What should I know about care and food?

Will compatibility be a problem with the NAso?

naesco
04-26-2003, 05:32 PM
What you need to know is that both the naso and the regal (hippo) tangs require tanks that are a minimum six (6) feet long which is 135 gallons.
This is the minimum requirements as per Scott Michael who is the guru or fish and their requirements.

The reason for the large tanks is that tangs, in addition to growing large, require the swimming room that longer tanks provide.

You already have one tang in a 90.
Please do not add another.
Thank you

ndonily
05-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Eldon??? What were ya thinkin puttin two tangs in a 90 :rolleyes:

Trevor Robertson
05-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Okay well this may be off topic. I have a 135gal tank 6 feet long, and I have a yellow tang already (doesn't everyone?). Well I one like to add a regal tang one day is this going to be okay?

pocilipora
05-26-2003, 11:03 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=330

Aquattro
05-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Trevor, I think you'll be fine with that. Heck, the tangs would probably be fine with that too! :razz:

canadawest
05-27-2003, 01:48 AM
What you need to know is that both the naso and the regal (hippo) tangs require tanks that are a minimum six (6) feet long which is 135 gallons.
This is the minimum requirements as per Scott Michael who is the guru or fish and their requirements.

The reason for the large tanks is that tangs, in addition to growing large, require the swimming room that longer tanks provide.

You already have one tang in a 90.
Please do not add another.
Thank you

Not to fuel a "Tang Police" discussion, but here are my experiences/opinions:

While I agree that Tangs are active swimmers and require plenty of room to move about, I tend to disagree with hard fixed numbers like "6' long" and "135 gallons".

I have had my Blue (Regal) Tang for over two years now in my 100gal 5' long tank. He's also accompanied by a Yellow Tang which I've had for just over a year. Both were about 2" in length when brought home (small) and now the Blue is approximately 5-6" long and the Yellow is 3-4" long. Both seem very happy and are certainly healthy as they both have voracious appetites, plump bodies, vibrant coloration and are very active.

Would I like to have a larger tank for them to swim around in, certainly. Do I think that a larger tank is "necessary" in order to keep them healthy? Certainly not.

I think this relaxed rule applies to only Blue and Yellow tangs as they are generally hardier and relatively accomodating fish. I wouldn't keep a large (6"+) Tang in anything smaller than a 5' long tank, and I wouldn't keep more than one in anything less than a 100gal tank, unless they were small (<4").

But in regards to C-Hawks orginal question, I would recommend against adding another Tang of any sort as your Naso will quickly grow even too large for your 90gal, and another Tang in there would just be way to crowded. Perhaps wait until your Naso outgrows your 90gal, and consider trading him for a Regal or Yellow Tang then?

sumpfinfishe
05-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Ahh the Tang police are starting to swarm, I can feel it :biggrin:

I once read that Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones said that "eveyone should snort a rail a day".

Well just because one author tells you that a minimum requirement is 135gl to keep tangs then by all means, I thnk that is the rule of thumb we all must follow :razz:

I have seen many tanks-most of which less that 135gl, and in many of these tanks there were more than one type of tang-usually two and sometimes three or even four. All of which except for the odd tank kept very healthy fish. Now I know that I'm no expert-only six years of reefing, but when I see a healthy fish-that usually means a happy fish :mrgreen:

naesco
05-27-2003, 04:54 AM
Ahh the Tang police are starting to swarm, I can feel it :biggrin:

I once read that Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones said that "eveyone should snort a rail a day".

Well just because one author tells you that a minimum requirement is 135gl to keep tangs then by all means, I thnk that is the rule of thumb we all must follow :razz:

I have seen many tanks-most of which less that 135gl, and in many of these tanks there were more than one type of tang-usually two and sometimes three or even four. All of which except for the odd tank kept very healthy fish. Now I know that I'm no expert-only six years of reefing, but when I see a healthy fish-that usually means a happy fish :mrgreen:

But have you observed your tang in a minimum sized tank of 6 feet and also its behaviour in a four feet tank. You would see a major difference in its behaviour. The bottom line is that tangs are swimmers and need the swimming room that longer tanks provide.

Also there is more than one author (Scott Michael) that recommends the minimums. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/hcs3/index.htm

Pocilipora The reference you gave is a commercial site. Their business is to sell as many fish as possible.

Canadawest There are things you can for a five foot tank.
Make sure there is a clear swimming area from one end of the tank to the other clear of coral and rock. Make sure there is an adequate turning area at both ends of the tank. Place a powerhead in the swimming area near the top of the tank. Tangs love to swim against the current and enjoy the highly oxygenated water the powerhead provides. Sounds like your tangs are happy and healthy :biggrin: