PDA

View Full Version : Razor scraper wanted - long and stout

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 02:25 AM
I use those red plastic holders for safety blades for the really hard green encrusting algae. I need something that will hold a blade securely, yeah lost a few trying with that white suckey thing they sell....

The canopy limits us from really getting much arm freedom in the tank..

Any ideas? :biggrin:

steve-s
04-26-2003, 02:57 AM
Kent Proscrapers (http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=mc-prosc12) are excellent. You can also buy an added stainless steel blade to replace the plastic one it come with. It works great...

Cheers
Steve

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 03:04 AM
Steve,

I broke the plastic blade in my proscraper and CANNOT for the life of me figure out how to get it out of there for starters.... :lol: I wasn't aware of the blade attachment...thanks !

For now I did a + b= c..heheheh

http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/DSC00003.JPG

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Looks great - now if you could reinforce that handle with some PVC...

:biggrin:

steve-s
04-26-2003, 03:39 AM
Not too sure how your gonna get the plastic blade out unless you use a flat screw driver mabye. I've broken many of those... :razz:

J&L also sells the steel blade for $5.45 ea. Although I am sure you would most likely find it at alot of larger stores. Look for the same style you have now except yellow...

Cheers
Steve

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 04:40 AM
Not too sure how your gonna get the plastic blade out unless you use a flat screw driver mabye. I've broken many of those... :razz:

Well, I challenged hubby......he used some big ass pliers of some kind, (coupled with Friday nite after work stress). It came out.

However, my knee was in the way of the recoil.......warning for others... :lol:

Bryan
04-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Best scraper is the one I made myself. Use whatever length of 1/2" pvc piping and cut a 45 degree slot near the end about 1/2 way through the pipe with a hacksaw. Slide a razor blade in the cut slot and scrape away.

Doug
04-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Hey Deb, We must shop at the same place, as I have an identical looking one. :lol:

I read on one of the boards that Penn Plax makes a magnet cleaner that has a blade in it. They said it worked well, removing even encrusted coralline.

Canadian Man
04-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Hey Deb, I got an aluminum, adjustable length scraper locally and it had abunch of diffrent attachments. A metal scraper, corner cleaner, abrasive cleaner and spounge cleaner. I don't remeber where I got it from.....I think it may have been big als.

But it's an awsome piece of work. it adjust's from like 1.5 feet to 3 feet.

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys :biggrin: :cool: