PDA

View Full Version : I bought a new bulb

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 01:44 AM
And Ms. "I hate yellow" likes it !! :cool:

As you know, I'm limited on bulb selection because I have CHEAP ballasts.... :lol:

Anyway, if this one burns in as good as it looks right now, I'm in for the two more. Then I think I'll pull out the 4 x 55w pc's, run the MH parallel and shoot in some actinic for polish.

http://www.hydroponics.com/light/sun_cool.htm

The spectral analysis is interesting in comparison to the Iwasaki, which didn't work at all for me.......not that I understand it, but comments please ! :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
04-26-2003, 01:49 AM
Looks good to me.
Where did you get them from and what kinda color do they put out(visually)?

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 02:02 AM
Bumper Crop - it is burning very much bright white. Maybe a tinge of yellow, but you know me. :razz:

I've been trying to get a decent pic, but it keeps showing up the green algae on my back glass...doh...I'll work on that tomorrow :lol:

Canadian Man
04-26-2003, 02:16 AM
Cool! How much were they and what wattage did you pick up?

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 02:22 AM
$100 for the 250W. He was very nice to let me try a couple bulbs and take them back with no restocking charge. This one I think is a keeper, but...now I need to reach the back of the tank....

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 03:42 AM
Did you also try one of the "Aquarium Deluxe" bulbs?

Wait, of course you did...

:redface:

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 04:35 AM
Nope. Didn't need to yet. :lol:

It was the next try tho... :razz:

Man....I can't believe how things are reacting..
:eek:

Jack
04-26-2003, 06:16 AM
Less yellow than the Iwasaki? Lets see some pictures :wink:

sumpfinfishe
04-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Yes Deb, lets see some pics :biggrin:
Not like your reef looks great already :wink:

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 10:24 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/BulbDSC00001_rs.JPG

And this one here just for a funny: :biggrin:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/Yellow.JPG

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 10:46 PM
And this one here just for a funny: :biggrin:
Yikes! Your camera make that one, or is it one of the "trial" bulbs??

In the first photo, then new bulb is over the center of the tank?

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Yikes! Your camera make that one, or is it one of the "trial" bulbs??

:lol: That is EXACTLY how Ushio bulbs looked over my tank. That pic was Nov 2001. I think it took Barry 3.4 seconds to run over to the tank and pull the bulbs out to return them..... :eek: I don't remember if I took pics of the Iwasakis :question:, but they weren't a whole lot better. Maybe he gave it five minutes or so, since I had kept saying what good bulbs they were...... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

In the first photo, then new bulb is over the center of the tank?

Yes, when the snow plows come...... :lol: I will go get a couple more. At least my anemones are happy :cool:

Canadian Man
04-26-2003, 11:26 PM
That's a very nice color for the center bulb. Do you have the actinics on at that point?

EmilyB
04-27-2003, 12:03 AM
No, the small pc's never did much anyway on such a large area, so Barry has disconnected them and is pulling them out.

Delphinus
04-27-2003, 05:18 AM
Years ago when I switched from 14k's to 10k's over my 50 I found the anemones were the first to indicate their approval of the new lighting. They pretty much immediately expanded about double. They seem to be a pretty good indicator of lighting.

Interestingly enough, I find nowadays my BTA's look kinda ugly, and not really inclined to expand much. In fact, I think they're smaller than when they were under NO lights. I'm not sure if it's a function of them not being happy with the Iwasaki's (they have never looked "great" ever since I moved them into my Iwasaki-lit tank), or if it's because maybe my tank has overcrowding issues and there's just too much going on chemically (allelopathic inhibition?? who knows...).

I have been thinking about adding a third bulb to my 75g once I switch over to Radiums. Was thinking, do I want it to be Iwasaki? Or something else? The reason I'm hesitant to remain with Iwasaki's is that I would want to find a "non-M57 H37 ballast" to run it on, so I thought, why not just use an Ushio 10K since the M59 is the "correct" ballast for that bulb (according to the Ushio website ... which I found to be surprising since the 175W and the 400W versions are intended to be used on the pulse-start ballasts instead). Reading your comments regarding the Ushio reminded me of the issues of yellowness you had with those bulbs. Hmmm. Now, I'm still rather confused what I want that third bulb to be (I just want something to balance things out at midday for a few hours). Invest the $100 in a H37 ballast and see for myself if the Iwasaki's really do look whiter/bluer, or just say to heck with it all and forget about it.

The bulb that interests me most in the 10k/mogul range are the ones that Steve uses on M80's. But that means new bulb new ballast == mucho deniro. Ay, carumba.