PDA

View Full Version : Tds readings omg

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Hey all Well after playingwith my tank and thought about what Doug was telling me about the life of a membrane, lets wee who has the highest. I think that mine is at the top with a amazing reading from the tap of 795-800PPM

I can't speak no wonder that i have to change mine every 6-7 months is there any way to ease the TDS readings coming out so I dont have to pay 75 every 6 months ...

Slick Fork
10-26-2008, 02:40 AM
I have really high tds water from our well, usually in that 700 to 800 range. I found using one of those flush kits extends the life of the membrane substantially.

mark
10-26-2008, 02:42 AM
would think with the pre-filters and flushing, would get way more than 6/7 months from a membrane.

Aquattro
10-26-2008, 02:45 AM
You could move to the Island, I think I get about 17ppm out of the tap :)

xtreme
10-26-2008, 03:05 AM

Wow, I thought gettin 110 ppm out of the tap was good.

JDigital
10-26-2008, 03:12 AM

Wow... that's impressive.. haha...

heyfredyourhat
10-26-2008, 03:14 AM
I get any where from 120 to 170ppm from the tap

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 03:24 AM

ya ya ya yya that's it Brad rub it in..

Drock169
10-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Downtown van has around 13-14

sphelps
10-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Hey Mike, with a TDS that high you should consider some extra pre-filters. Also an adjustable membrane pressure valve will allow you to increase your waist water ratio, not the most efficient method and you won't produce as much good water but it'll be easier on the membrane. After that if you want to get better efficiency you could run the waist water from the membrane into another membrane and so on.

04scoobysti
10-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Yea In my condo in Kitsilano the tap water is 7 TDS and i still run a RODI, those membranes are going to last forever at the 5g a week i use.

christyf5
10-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Crazy! I get 13 out of the tap here.

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey Mike, with a TDS that high you should consider some extra pre-filters. Also an adjustable membrane pressure valve will allow you to increase your waist water ratio, not the most efficient method and you won't produce as much good water but it'll be easier on the membrane. After that if you want to get better efficiency you could run the waist water from the membrane into another membrane and so on.
so like hook up another say 3 prefilters mine its a
5M
Carbon
5M
the membrane
DI

if i add 3 more it should look like
5M -
5m
1m
carbon,
5M
1 M
Membrane
DI

Doug
10-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Mike lives on the wrong side of town. Mines only around 400ppm. :lol:

Aquattro
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Mike lives on the wrong side of town.

I heard that about Mike!! :)

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
ya ya 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

ok im relaxed again you cant hurt me you mods

Doug
10-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Actually I wonder if there is something to that. Where he lives, is an established area, with older water mains. My area is fairly new.

It seemed like I would change the 5m pre filter at Mikes and a few days later it was dirty again.

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Brad can I come live with you and bring my SPS reef

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Actually I wonder if there is something to that. Where he lives, is an established area, with older water mains. My area is fairly new.

It seemed like I would change the 5m pre filter at Mikes and a few days later it was dirty again.

I wonder if I change the copper pipes to Plastic

sphelps
10-26-2008, 03:11 PM
so like hook up another say 3 prefilters mine its a
5M
Carbon
5M
the membrane
DI

if i add 3 more it should look like
5M -
5m
1m
carbon,
5M
1 M
Membrane
DI

How about
5m
Carbon
5m
Carbon
5m
1m
RO
DI

The problem is you'll have to change the pre-filters quite often to lessen the impact on the RO.

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
so what would the extra carbon do then Steve

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Just talking with doug on MSN and he has a KOLD sterile RO unit that i could use. that might be something to look into

this is on Marine depot
Kold Ster-il Water Filter uses ten inch canisters (clear), 3/4" Npt. Threaded fittings, flows 3.8 Gpm (14.3Lpm) for approximately 5,000 gallons (18925 L.). The smaller system can provide lower lead, mercury, cadmium levels due to the addition, into the carbon cartridge, of a highly selective charged ceramic.

How good is your tapwater?
Our Kold Ster-il, Three Canister System, sorbs and restricts the following: Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Copper , Iron, Zinc, Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOC), tannins, Proteins, Dissolved Organics, Chlorine, Pesticides/Insecticides, Metal Particulates, Algae, Fungus, Giardia, Cryptospordium, and E. coli Bacteria.

Water Flow Rate: 3.8 Gpm @ 40 psig

Materials of Construction: Canister—Polypropylene Top SANS Sump NSF, International Approved. Fin-L-Filter - UHMW Polyethylene End Caps w/ Acrylic & Polypropylene Tubes.

The Kold Ster-il System & Filter Media were tested under A.S.T.M.* & E.P.A. Methods of Analysis for Potable Water. The Fin-L-Filter molecular absorption discs meet all NSF, International criteria as a chemical sorbent media under Standards 42, 53, 53b, 61, 63. In addition, both disc sorbent medium and the entire apparatus were tested as to performance and claims in the UMDNJ Pharmacology–Toxicology Dept.

*American Society of Testing & Materials

Volumes: 11.01 & 11.02 Water Analysis.

Filter Media (Three Types of Filtration): Barrier Restriction, Adsorption, Absorption.

Kold Ster-il® System Provides Three Separate Methods of Filtration for your Health & Safety.

This unique Filtration System offers you and your family the following:
0.50 micron bonded carbon block also containing a molecular sieve. NSF Approved Last Stage.
Molecular Absorption Disc Media designed to absorb/adsorb heavy metals, volatile organic chemicals, dissolved organic matter, phosphates while flowing 4 gallons per minute.
Fin-L-Filter 0.20 Micron bag filter (U.S. Patent). This second stage filter barrier restricts algae, Giarida Cysts, Cryptosproidium, fungus and E. coli bacteria. Whole House Filtration: Kold Ster-il can provide a constant 4+ Gpm flow rate while meeting NSF quality standards 42, 53, 53b, 61, 63.
The Kold Ster-il System also includes schedule 80 PVC fittings, mounting bracket, filter wrench, teflon grease and schematic.http://www.f3images.com/IMD/w7.jpgKold Ster-il Schematichttp://www.f3images.com/IMD/aquarium_images/ro_pb_2.jpg(1st) Molecular Absorption 30/Pk (1µS/cmH20)
(2nd) 0.20µm Filter Bag Fin-L-Filter
(3rd) 0.50µm Rated Carbon For VOC"S & Pesticides
Max. Pressure 90 psig. Max. Temp. 125°F Flow Rate 20 Gpm
NOTICE: KOLD-STER-IL® SYSTEM (3) FOR 7–14 GPM FLOW RATES

Canister #1
(Looking right to left) Fin-L-Filter® Model PMA-50 filled with 30 PMA-50 Discs (3.75" Diameter) processed in sterile 1.0µ/Siemens/cm (conductivity) water. This provides 20-35% more efficiency in sorbing heavy metals. This filter media passes NSF Standards 53, 53b, 63 for heavy metals filtration, V.O.C. reduction & extractables in potable water. Replace this filter medium approx. 150,000 gallons. Reorder Item No. PMA-1 30/Pk.

Canister #2
(Looking right to left) Fin-L-Filter® Model PSM-50 filled with a single 0.20µm filter bag (18.5" L x 4.0" W.) capable of providing a 99.9% (Three log) reduction in particulates. This filter bag will remove free floating bacteria + Giardia cysts & Cryptosporidium. Note: If this filter is to be used on microbiologically unsafe water it must be in conjunction with Chlorine or Chlorine dioxide in a 2.00–3.00 mg/L concentration for viral control and to prevent bacteria growing through filter medium. Replace this filter bag medium after approx. 150,000 gallons volume. Reorder Item No. PSM-1 0.20µm (absolute) Filter Bag.

Canister #3
(Looking right to left) Kold Ster-il Canister filled with a 4.62"W. x 20"L. filter cartridge containing polypropylene inner/outer wraps, bonded power activated carbon NSF Rated, polypropylene endcaps and Buna-N gaskets. This filter cartridge is rated for 150,000 gallons @7.0 gpm of greater than 2.0mg/L free available chlorine. In addition this filter will adsorb VOC's & Pesticides. This cartridge is NSF Certified to trap Giardia & Cryptosporidium cysts via a 99.9% (absolute) 1.00 micron rating.
Reorder Item No. CBC-0.50Lg.

Important Operating Instructions:
Operate 60psig. Working pressure with 90psig. Absolute maximum pressure rating. Install an operating pressure reducing valve with a pressure gauge before Kold Ster-il® Filtration System. For VOC & Pesticide adsorption via carbon—do not operate above 85° F. Use teflon grease on all “o” Rings, Endcaps, Top of 0.20µm filter Bag. Use Chlorine or Chlorine dioxide (2.0–3.0mg/L) on microbiologically unsafe or unknown water sources for bacteria & viruses before Kold Ster-il® System filtration. Replace filter media after 150,000 gallons (approx.) or as indicated via water analysis under EPA Standards & Methods of Analysis

2manytanks
10-26-2008, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=asmodeus;354651]Hey all Well after playingwith my tank and thought about what Doug was telling me about the life of a membrane, lets wee who has the highest. I think that mine is at the top with a amazing reading from the tap of 795-800PPM
QUOTE]

Sounds to me like a call to the City is in order. Seems to me that is above what is considered a safe level, so their water is not up to standards.

sphelps
10-26-2008, 03:57 PM
so what would the extra carbon do then Steve

Well I figure the extra carbon would be more useful than the extra 5m, and by the end you should only need one 1m. Adding the 1m will make a significant difference.

A couple other ideas. I still stand by minimizing the product water from the membrane as the best solution. The less water you force through the membrane will reduce the chances of clogging the membrane pores. Also the extra water fed through the membrane waste will increase the Reynolds # throughout the membrane meaning a more turbulent flow which will again reduce the chance of pore clogging.

That brings me to my next possible problem. An RO membrane is designed in a way that it creates very small flow channels through layers of closely packed membrane. The idea is the water forced trough these small areas will travel at high velocity resulting in the high Reynolds # and turbulent flow. This is the most critical design property of any RO membrane and it is the reason RO units require a certain pressure. You should measure the pressure your membrane is receiving, if it's low you're likely not going to achieve a high enough Reynolds # resulting in laminar flow which no amount of prefilters will fix. Turbulent flow results in a high level of skin friction drag which will prevent particles and matter from building on the membrane surface while laminar flow will actually push matter to the membrane surface increasing build up.

Increasing your feed pressure and tubing diameter will increase your flow rate and velocity in the membrane, the higher this velocity the longer your membrane will last. But it is important that you don't also increase your product water, you'll have to sacrifice extra waste water. Have you ever measure your ratio by the way? And how often are you flushing the membrane? You could setup a very simple system to flush your membrane everyday automatically which will also help prolong the lifespan.

Aquattro
10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Brad can I come live with you and bring my SPS reef

Hmm, lemme ask the boss....

Uh, nope.

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Hmm, lemme ask the boss....

Uh, nope.
I don't like you any more Brad and stay out of my thread. :mrgreen: