PDA

View Full Version : Is ZEO for me.?

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Well I thought about doing ZEO with my 150 gal SPS reef this is what i have to deal with.
I have no Hair algea, all the red turf algae is gone , a few spec's of Bubble like maX OF ABOUT 5 BUBBLE IN TOTAL.
150 gal tank
20 gal sump
BUBBLE Master 250
2x 250 12K reeflux on lumenarc's might be adding a 3 Lumenarc 250 12K REEF LUX FROM DOUG

I run Phosban but i know that will have to cease. i will need to replace the phos ban with Carbon.
I jsut picked up a Geo calcium reactor for the SPS. I will have to do a 5% water change every week since that is what I was planning on doing anyways.
I will have to stop KALK I Think.

then I thought about a ATs Algae Scrubber to take away Phosphates, ammonia, and Nitrates.
I have about 25 different SPS i believe and some mushrooms, 7 clam

Delphinus
10-26-2008, 04:24 AM
I kept on with kalk after going zeo. I don't know if it was bad or not.

I think the only way to really find out if it's for you or not is to try it for about 6 months or so. It's the best way to find out if the extra work is balanced by the results. Having said that, I thought the extra work wasn't that much extra and the results were pretty impressive. The most impressive change I thought was how much the water got polished clear. It's like your lights get 20% brighter. Totally subjective, of course, but I first thought something was wrong with my lights because they seemed so much brighter all of a sudden. :lol:

RuGlu6
10-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Zeo was a disaster for my tank be carefull.

OCDP
10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Zeo was a disaster for my tank be carefull.

Can you elaborate a bit further as to what happened?

Tom R
10-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I will have to do a 5% water change every week since that is what I was planning on doing anyways.

I have been on ZEOvit for the past 2 years. My system is 525G and I now do water changes of 50G every 6 weeks. I am using IO salt and increasing the CA to 450 and the Mag to 1400 before adding to the system. You will have to watch your water parameters to determine the best for your system. If your system is low nutrient and well skimmed then why change it.

Tom R

sphelps
10-26-2008, 04:42 PM
What exactly do you hope of achieving by using Zeovit? If your nutrient levels are good and you're just looking for some better color you should try some of the zeovit additives first, the full system is pretty intense and really not the best system for most.

Aquattro
10-26-2008, 06:10 PM
If your system is low nutrient and well skimmed then why change it.

Tom R

Oh!!! I know this one! The weekly change is to replenish trace elements removed by the Zeo system. I read this last night in the instructions :)

Aquattro
10-26-2008, 06:13 PM
If your nutrient levels are good and you're just looking for some better color you should try some of the zeovit additives first, the full system is pretty intense and really not the best system for most.

I've been using some of the additives and they weren't doing enough for me. And while the system requires daily attention, I figure that might be a good thing afterall. I went into my sump room yesterday to find my skimmer had overflowed, and likely had done days earlier. A daily visit to the sump might be good, since I otherwise only went down twice a week.

I figure if I can do this regime, anyone can :)

symplistik
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Recently started zeo in my tank and have had no problems. just post all your tank details on the zeo forum and let the pros determine your accurate dosage to start. i have found that it isnt as much work as people say and if you just answer the questions on the forum honestly you will never overdose your system. my sps have already started to colour up more. NO3 have dropped and my P04 are already at 0. :biggrin:

OCDP
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I was wondering if Zeo can be used on smaller systems? Or is it mainly intended for the larger reefs?? I have only ever seen it used on large systems, so I am a bit curious.

symplistik
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
ZEO can be used on tanks of virtually any size if the dosage is right. just keep researching . i have found nano hang on reactors.

christyf5
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm about 5 weeks in to zeo. I'm doing it for the colors. I started out with coral snow and coral vitalizer and couldn't believe the difference. Prior to this I was using the ultralith system but the use of those two zeo products lured me to the dark side :wink:

Previously using faunamarin I had issues with brown wafer algae, it took almost 5 months but I do believe that the faunamarin system beat it. Now if I could just do something about the little majano farm I have in the back forty :razz:

I agree with Tony, give it 6 months, then weigh the pros and cons. Thats pretty much what I'm doing. In 6 months I'll reasses if I'm interested in continuing with the whole system or just going back to the coral snow and vitalizer.

Delphinus
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I was wondering if Zeo can be used on smaller systems? Or is it mainly intended for the larger reefs?? I have only ever seen it used on large systems, so I am a bit curious.
Seen zeo done on small tanks as well as big ones. :)

Aquattro
10-26-2008, 07:14 PM
As for all the work, I've just printed out a monthly calendar of what I need to do. Posted by the sump, it should take me 2 minutes every morning to add my stuff, shake the rocks and tick off the sheet. Not too terrible. Let's see if I can actually do it. hehe....

symplistik
10-26-2008, 07:18 PM
i did the same. thanks to excel i can log all the results good or bad and make changes , aswell as print of dosing charts that i check off as it gets done

RuGlu6
10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Can you elaborate a bit further as to what happened?

To make a long story short:
65 Gal tank, Tek T5x6 bulbs light, Deltec skimmer, lots of flow with Tunze pumps.
Before ZEO.
Healthy tank 1.5 year old, no algae, very good colors and growth.
Got Zeo system going, followed instructions to the "T". I did have a small flow mishap (Increased the flow through zeo rocks) Lost 60% of SPS in 4 days.
After ZEO.
Tank full of hair algae and dead corals.

Present time.

Now, recovering slowly, fighting algae battle, SPS getting colors back growth rate never changed really.
Hope this can make some one to think twice before starting ZEO on established tank. May be new tank is OK but did not work for me.

marie
10-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Previously using faunamarin I had issues with brown wafer algae, it took almost 5 months but I do believe that the faunamarin system beat it...

I wonder if faunamarin would do in my corraline algae, it would be worth waiting 5 months if it did :lol:

christyf5
10-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I wonder if faunamarin would do in my corraline algae, it would be worth waiting 5 months if it did :lol:

haha, I'm not sure, that would be interesting if it did though. Come to think of it I don't have a speck of coralline algae on anything except for the rocks.

Skimmerking
10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
well I guesI will hold off for awhile since I bought another 250 with lumenarc and a electronic ballast. HMMMMMMMMMM lighting and a new reactor coming will the madness every stop.

Whatigot
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
i have been on zeovit for the past 2 years. My system is 525g and i now do water changes of 50g every 6 weeks. I am using io salt and increasing the ca to 450 and the mag to 1400 before adding to the system. You will have to watch your water parameters to determine the best for your system. If your system is low nutrient and well skimmed then why change it.

Tom r

+1