PDA

View Full Version : Is this heater big enough?

TJT
10-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Im quickly finding out that what a product says it can handle might not be totaly true. Anyways i bought a 90 galon tank and im using a Hydor Theo Submersible Heater-400 Watt, witch says its good for 80-110g tanks. Im just wondering if i should pick up another heater or if this in fact ok for my tank.

I also picked up a Eheim 2215 witch i belive is rated for up to 95 galons... and the more i read the more i realize ill need another filter for my tank. This is mainly why im second guessing the heaters "rating"

I usualy keep my water around 82-84 because of the Discus i have.

Thanks.

trilinearmipmap
10-26-2008, 01:33 AM
More than enough heat for your tank unless it is being kept in a very cold place.

The 3 to 5 watt per gallon rule applies to small tanks, when you approach 100 gallons and up less watts per gallon are needed because the surface area to volume ratio is less.

I use a 300 watt heater on my 120 and it is more than I need.

Leah
10-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey TJT,
If I might make a suggestion my daughter is into discus wow they are pretty but back to the point it might be safer to run to heaters on the tank just in case the unexpected
happens.
________
buy herbalaire vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)

TJT
10-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Hey TJT,
If I might make a suggestion my daughter is into discus wow they are pretty but back to the point it might be safer to run to heaters on the tank just in case the unexpected
happens.

Thanks, is a heater something that can commenly become faulty?

I always get a weird feeling reaching into 90 galons of water with something thats plugged into the wall submersed in the water :lol: