PDA

View Full Version : Anthias for a small(er) tank...

X-Treme
10-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Anyone know if there are any types of Anthias that would be ok to go in a 40 gallon?

noirsphynx
10-26-2008, 04:14 AM
This is from Nanoreef http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703&st=0

Anthias

For the most part anthias belong in reef tanks of 55g or larger. In some cases you may be able to get away with a single male or female of some of the smaller varieties. Anthias are planktovores and meat eaters. Sometimes in the beginning they can be difficult to get established or feed, but if you are able to get a hold of a hardy specimen, they are fairly easy to care for after that. Keeping them well fed (2 times per day is good) will improve your chances of success with a new specimen. In larger tanks typically you do 1 male with a small group of 2-8 females, all females (one will eventually become the male), or a single male. I have been asked before about mixing single specimens of different species before, but honestly I don’t know the answer to that question. I would imagine it to be ok in larger tanks, but cannot guarantee it. A reef tank is a must for Anthias. Do well in high flow SPS tanks.

-Dispar Anthias (3.7”, 30g min, 55g+ ideal)
-Fathead (Sunburst) Anthias (5", 30g min, 55g+ ideal) (added by Pili)
-Longfin Anthias (2”, 30g min, 55g+ ideal)

StirCrazy
10-26-2008, 01:24 PM
one thing to remembere, by 55gal + they are talking about one anthias, to house small groups you need 120+. this is one fish that needs more swimming room than a tang.

Steve