PDA

View Full Version : Powersweep pumps?

CHEAPREEF
04-24-2003, 05:17 PM
What do you guys think about these? Are they any good? I need to increase the flow in my tank, i was going to run a closed loop of sorts but i really don't have the time to put one together right now. I was thinking of adding two of these. http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=zm-ps214 This is on a 40gal cube 24"X24"x18"H with a mag7 as a return right now i only have about 400gal of flow back into the tank. Thanks for ay info. :smile:

Clinton

Aquattro
04-24-2003, 05:30 PM
I've heard in the past that the sweeping action stops due to buildup of crud, but I suppose with cleaning, you could avoid that. I was thinking of getting one of these for my frag growout in the sump.

MikeKimC
04-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I've used them ... work great as long as you keep them clean.

Mike

CHEAPREEF
04-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys, think i'll pick two of the little ones up today and try them out. :cool:

Clinton

Aquattro
04-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys, think i'll pick two of the little ones up today and try them out. :cool:

Clinton

Make sure you let us know what you think when they're running!!

Dez
04-24-2003, 08:10 PM
I run one of these...been in my tank for a few months already, got it from Jon, hasn't stopped sweeping yet...

Aren't you hooking the Mag 9 up?

Des

leslr
04-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I use one in my 15 tall. I did have a problem with slowing down/cloging up. I removed the ugly mesh cover that came with it and replaced it with a piece of some DIY pre-filter material. since then not a single problem (6 months). As for the material I picked up a pre-filter for a HOT filter (the thin blue one). Cut off a piece to fit around the suction tube a bit of glue, presto!! You have enough material to last at least a year. I clean it when I can see it needs it, or replace it when it gets to dirty looking
leslr.

CHEAPREEF
04-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Aren't you hooking the Mag 9 up?

Des

I'd love to but nobody in town has a ceramic shaft for the darn thing. Going to have to order a shaft and impeller for it in the next week or so.

Back on topic, picked one up today, the 226 model. First thing i did was pull it apart to see what makes it tick, holy man easy to build i think. :mrgreen: Going to make something similar for my pump returns in the near future. And just to reply to leslr, i woun't be using any filter media on the input, don't see the need. But thanks for the tip. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Clinton

leslr
04-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Cheapreef
The pre-filter isn't for the impeller its for the little gear-wheel. The last couple of times it stuck before using the stuff, all that stopped it was a grain of sand in the teeth. Other than that its a great little water mover.
Also check the manufactured date on the pump. The old ones(last year) were subject to corrosion till they changed the materials
leslr.

mikelar
04-25-2003, 03:52 AM
I have had very good success with the power sweep. I noticed a definite improvement in my corals health once I installed one. I would advise buying the model with the foam prefilter as it helps the pump run longer without having to take it apart and clean it. Even with the prefilter install I find that I have to clean the pump every 2-3 weeks to keep it rotating smoothly

Mike

CHEAPREEF
04-25-2003, 04:25 AM
Not worried about the cleaning as i claen all my pumps, skimmer ect once a week.

Clinton