PDA

View Full Version : Finally found my little snapping friend

levi1803
10-24-2008, 03:10 AM
So I have heard this little guy in my tank for the last 6 months but have never seen him, I was sure it was a mantis shrimp but obviously not, appears to be a pistol, anyone know what kind he is? I found what rock he was in and took the hammer and chisel to it tonight to find the bugger as it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was. I'm not really sure what to do with him yet, but is actually quite pretty. Any suggestions? Pics aren't that great, but good enough to see him anyway. He/she is only about 1/4 of an inch, I can't believe it's this small and made such a loud noise, pretty amazing actually.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49/levi1803/002-3.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49/levi1803/001-2.jpg

ElGuappo
10-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Well what ever it is thats one big 6 shooter he has.

sphelps
10-24-2008, 03:40 AM
You're lucky! Not sure on the kind but defiantly a pistol. I got a little snapper two but I'm pretty sure it's a mantis, sounds identical to ones I've seen on other tanks and stores and I keep finding busted crap shells and remains not to mention all small fish and shrimp always disappear soon after being introduced to the tank. Once I found a graveyard high in the rocks with lots of broken rocks and shells. Never seen the little bugger but he's been snapping for a long long time.

Congrats on your find.

Chaloupa
10-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Very cool shrimp!!!! I just sold mine with it's goby and it snapped all the time...noisy little fellows. My Mom has one in her tank that is tiny...but snaps all the time too. They're very cool, but noisy!

levi1803
10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Can anyone suggest a good goby to pair up with him maybe? or is he to small yet (only 1/4 inch)

scumchug
10-24-2008, 03:29 PM
This would be my suggestion. Great addition.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Hi_Fin_Red_Banded_Goby___Ston ogobiops_nematodes_Fish_Gobies_Hi_Fin_Red_Banded_G oby_Hi_Fin_Red_Banded_Goby_OS~vendor~Marine_Depot_ Live~SearchStr~hi+fin+red+banded+goby~action~view~ idProduct~ML0036974-01~idCategory~LFGBHROS.html

jasond
10-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Nice job, thats awesome! Funny something so little can make so much racket.

justinl
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Ive heard that getting a pistol and goby to pair isn't as simple as throwing the two in the same tank and praying. I seem to recall that they are species specific.

untamed
10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Unless he is...like 5" long...he's likely very harmless. The worst he could do would be to take out a hermit crab or something. You're lucky you didn't do him in while trying to get to him.

My experience is that a very small pistol can make a very large noise.

Too bad you are in Calgary, he would be welcome in my tank.

Oscar
10-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Very cool. I have had a clicking in my tank since it was 2 months old. I think it is also a pistol. I have not seen a burrow so I suspect it is in the rock as well.

If it is living in the rock will it pair with a goby and create a burrow in the substrate?

MikeP
10-24-2008, 08:43 PM
If your not going to keep him I'm sure a LFS would take him in on trade. Or post in the Buy/Sell forum. I would take him but I already have a goby/shrimp pair, my pistol shrimp doesn't have the huge claw like yours though (maybe mine's a female?).

levi1803
10-24-2008, 08:45 PM
If your not going to keep him I'm sure a LFS would take him in on trade. Or post in the Buy/Sell forum. I would take him but I already have a goby/shrimp pair, my pistol shrimp doesn't have the huge claw like yours though (maybe mine's a female?).

Yeah I've kinda thought about it, he's so tiny though I'm not even sure a store would want him, he's maybe 1/4 of an inch at most. I'll probably just end up keeping the little guy.

X-Treme
10-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Wish you were up a bit further north. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

levi1803
10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
So I got an orange spotted goby today to see if they'll pair up. I put the pistol in the bag with the goby while it was being aclimated and he seemed kinda happy, basically stayed right by his head in the bag. I let them out together and the goby went off into the rocks and the little pistol was right behind swimming after him. Hopefully that's a good sign, haven't seen either one of them since they were both put into the tank a couple hours ago.

MikeP
10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
My goby sits outside their cave most of the day. I rarely see the pistol shrimp, the only chance I get is when he decides to push some sand out. But when ever he does make an appearance he always has one antenna on the goby which is neat.