PDA

View Full Version : Fan Worm Question

gills
10-22-2008, 03:22 AM
Looking for some help if anyone can provide.

I got this fan worm on the weekend and can't find any similar ones on the internet (red, white, and blue), and feathers form a figure 8 shape almost like two different worms. Not shown in picture is a yellowish pointy looking "hat" that it covers itself with when withdrawn. I would like to know:

1) if it is just a regular fan worm much like the hitchhikers common on live rock (little solid red or white with curly tubes) or a different variety?

2) where is best placement - on sand or rock (higher up or down low)?

It has not come out of its tube very often so I worry about it starving due to poor placement, although I got this picture at feeding time (out briefly).

And I didn't buy without knowing ... the LFS threw it in for free calling it a "polyp".
Thanks

Kostas
10-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Well looks like a feather dusters. It could be two growing out of the one tube, but I’m not sure.
You can either place these worms in a couple of inches or fine coral sand, or between live rocks is generally acceptable. where you have it now in that photo should be fine.
I read many of these worms live for years in aquarium with no special feeding regimen. But if you think its starving offer it brine shrimp

Whatigot
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
as long as your tank flow is good, you fanworm should have no trouble feeding itself, just put it somewhere the flow is slow and steady and not directed at it to hard as they are somewhat delicate...
They are very easy to keep and the best thing to do for them is to leave them alone:mrgreen:
I would bet that once he is established wherever you decide to put him, he will be out of his tube more often than not.