PDA

View Full Version : Is my torch coral dying?

goldie
10-22-2008, 02:21 AM
After having to do a 100% water change due to an unfortunate over feeding incident (compliments of my 3year old ) my torch coral hasn't been the same. Initially the polyps where just not extended but still bubbly but over the last while it has shrunk. It doesn't have any brown slime on it to suggest brown jelly disease but some of the polyps look to have fallen off and some have crusty brown tips. If my shrimp steps on it, it will contract which tells me it is still alive. Also the other night I blasted it a bit with a turkey baster and some polys seemed to fall off, but then today a section that had lost it's polyps it seemed to grow back and was more bubbly than the rest. Do these corals shed like leathers? Does it have a chance, should I wait it out or should I remove it? Sorry for the long post but I couldn't seem to take a good picture.

Trigger Man
10-22-2008, 03:14 AM
My torch has never shed, but if a section that lost it's polyps seems to be growing back I would wait it out. With a 100% water change the water parameters have changed and the coral may just be adjusting to the new parameters. Most corals are not as weak as many think.