PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to switch up the salt you use in your tank?

Kostas
10-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Is it a good thing to switch up the brand of salt you buy for your reef tank?

I’ve been using ‘instant ocean’ salt for years now… was down to one bucket and went to buy more and they were all sold out, so I got two buckets of ‘oceanic salt’.

Now should I mix a little from both buckets when I make up a bucket for a water change? Or just use it till its gone then go back to my regular stuff when it comes in

I think I recall reading about a horror story where someone switched salt brands and corals were dying in their tank due to that? :sad:

sphelps
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Switch it slow, even then you'll probably notice some effects of the new salt, some may be good but there will be bad. Switching salt usually isn't the best idea, especially when you've used one kind for years.

TJSlayer
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I think that if your usinging it during water changes you'll be fine as you are basically doing a slow switch over like that anyway. I also can't see it hurting anything to mix the two dry and do that as well.

Unless of course your doing more than 50% water changes you should be just fine...
TJ

TJSlayer
10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
On another note I have never used oceanic salt so I don't know anything about it's quality either, so there will be differences in what trace elements it has as well which will probably make the corals react a little at least.....

As Steve said good or bad....

jasond
10-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I switched to Tropic Marine Pro from IO, and just switched doing my weekly 5 gallon water changes. I did not notice anything change good or bad with the slow change (other than dosing less :biggrin:)

Trigger Man
10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
In the past year I've done 4 switches in salt brands and found no ill effects on my tank. When I switch salts I am doing a 15-18 % water change, so it is mixing with the current salt in the tank.

jasond
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
In the past year I've done 4 switches in salt brands and found no ill effects on my tank. When I switch salts I am doing a 15-18 % water change, so it is mixing with the current salt in the tank.

So which is your favorite? Why?

sphelps
10-21-2008, 08:32 PM

You're lucky, I've seen tanks crash from this.

Trigger Man
10-21-2008, 09:35 PM
So which is your favorite? Why?

So the last 3 salts I've used are Reef Crystals, RBS and now D-D aquarium Solution H20 cean Pro+ salt.
I found when I changed to RBS that my corals seemed to look healthier (more color quicker growth) but I did find that the calcium always tested a little low for my liking, so it required some extra dosing.
I have now done a couple of water changes with D-D's H20 Pro + salt and have been liking the little extra calcium in there, other then that it has so far given the same results as when i was using RBS, and with the fact that the H20 salt lists at $ 70 and I don't have to add a calcium dose as I was doing with RBS I can not complain. RBS is a great salt and when I first started using it it was around $ 100 dollars, but it can now be gotten for around $ 85 (cheaper if you buy at JL right now). Like I said though, I like my calcium around the 435 range, and with the H20 salt, I've been getting the 430- 450 range.

Trigger Man
10-21-2008, 09:39 PM
You're lucky, I've seen tanks crash from this.

I know I've been playing a risky game, but the way I've figured it is as long as I was going to what were supposed to be higher quality salts I should be ok. I am impressed with the H20cean Pro + salt right now so am hoping that this is my final salt pick.

untamed
10-22-2008, 04:04 AM
R

Similar experience here. I've moved from Ocean Pure Pro (1 yr) to Seachem (6 months) to Reefers Best (2 weeks). 10% water changes every week. While I have observed some mixing/measuring differences between the salts, I have not observed any changes to coral/fish colours/behaviours as a result of any of the changes.