PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer help

likwid
10-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey guys,

I just got my refractometer in, and I am following the calibration instructions. It says to add 1-2 drops of RO water to the prism, shut the plate, wait 30 seconds and then use the calibration screw to line up the blue and white boundaries at 0. I put the water in, however no matter how much I screw the calibration screw in/out the meter is always white. What do I do?

likwid
10-21-2008, 01:23 AM
I added a drop of my saltwater and the blue appeared, however no matter how much I calibrate, the white never goes above 0. So either I have absolutely no salt in my saltwater, or this thing is broken. Any ideas?

atcguy
10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
its best to get some calibration fluid. however just a couple things .. just use 3-4 drops of water flip the plastic cover down and hold it down firmly from the top you think your finger is blocking the light but it isnt . the light enters on the end ... find a bright light bulb and look through the meter at the light... you should get some reading regardless... good luck

likwid
10-21-2008, 01:48 AM
its best to get some calibration fluid. however just a couple things .. just use 3-4 drops of water flip the plastic cover down and hold it down firmly from the top you think your finger is blocking the light but it isnt . the light enters on the end ... find a bright light bulb and look through the meter at the light... you should get some reading regardless... good luck

Ya I tried that, I put 4 drops of my salt water in, I can see the division line at the very bottom, I play with the calibration, it moves up, but only a little bit, never above 0.

Skimmerking
10-21-2008, 02:06 AM
sounds like that you have a broken one

mike31154
10-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Agree, that thing is defective. It shouldn't take much of a turn of the screw to get movement on the scale.

atcguy
10-21-2008, 03:54 AM
agreed , broken