PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for the fish experts.

Lance
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Chin, Anthony and you other fish lovers; I'd like to drain your brains, if I may.
I'm getting close to setting up my 225 gal FOWLR and moving some livestock from my reef tank. Moving into the new tank will be a 5.5" SF Tang,
5" Foxface, and Coral Beauty Angel. Along with these I would like to get another tang or two (non Zebrasoma), a trigger (possibly a Pinktail or Niger),
a large angel, a wrasse (possibly Harlequin Tusk), and a pair of clowns.

I would like to keep a few corals in this tank (will it still be a FOWLR :question::lol:), but aside from mushrooms what do you think will be safe with these fish? I have a large Kenya Tree and toadstool that could go in. What about some GSP, or Palythoa? Any others? I've googled fish-safe corals, but can't find much info.

Clean-up crew? Would jumbo Turbo snails be large enough to keep the trigger and wrasse from eating them? Anything else?

Any advice or suggestions, greatly appreciated.

fishoholic
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
My large (queen, blueface, emperor, and blue ring) angels like to nip at my GSP, kenya tree, colt coral and yellow/green tree coral. However since these corals (of mine) are fairly large they never seem to do any damage to them at all. The toadstool they tried to destroy so I wouldn't add that one with large angels, also they love to eat colourful zoos, the brown ugly ones they leave alone! They never touch any of my LPS corals or mushrooms. I don't have any SPS so I don't know how they would be with those. Hope that helps :biggrin:

sphelps
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
It may be a little trial an error involved as pretty much every fish is different and some may eat different corals than others but I would recomend LPS corals that have stinging tentacles like hammers and torches. Also mushrooms and perhaps even a few acros or other SPS corals that will do well in higher nutrient tanks (they do exist) as most coral eaters won't bother SPS.

Either way I would try smaller corals out and if they go untouched I would get larger ones. I think a few really really large corals will like nice in a dominant fish only. Also an anemone or two would be a pretty safe bet.

mike31154
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a Singapore Angel (not large, about 3 in) in my tank (primarily FOWLR) to which I've recently added a small mat of GSP and Hammer. So far he hasn't bothered either specimen.

Trigger Man
10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
As always it will depend on the individual fish. For me I do have some problems with my Red Coris wrasse (4.5 inch) nipping at my zoas if not fed in the morning, and I had the same prob when I had a Fox Face. My Crosshatch Trigger has not bothered any of my snails, crabs or shrimp, and when I had a Picasso Trigger it didn't bother anything. I think GSP should be alright (none of my fish have bothered it, Zenias should work (and they multiply fast so even if there is some nipping it should be alright. For LPS, I have a large flower pot, torches, and frogspawn which are thriving, so they may work for you. You may even be able to have sponges. (my Scribbled is doing fine with it and when I had a Queen it did not harm the sponge) For bringing in large angels I found 3- 4.5 inches to be the best to work with, as they seem to fare better to adapting to new foods and not going straight to the corals and sponges. In the end this is my personal experience, and the one thing above all that I found is that if you feed the fishes well there tends not to be issues with coral nipping.

Lance
10-22-2008, 12:38 AM
OK. Thank-you. Pretty much what I expected. Hit-or-Miss with most fish.

KennyKen
10-22-2008, 01:37 AM
I was just pondering this exact question last night.
-tagging along.