PDA

View Full Version : Conch

Asmoa
04-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey, Im new to here.. just thought i would say hi, and ask a question... Does anyone know where i can purchase a fighting conch in calgary? i would rather not order it cause shipping is expensive and j&l doesn't carry them.

Thanx

Quinn
04-23-2003, 07:44 PM
welcome - i personally would rather order from J&L than purchase at a calgary LFS, but that's just me. i am sure there are a few people here who've obtained them from J&L, and even if they're not listed, i bet if you call, they'll tell you that they can get them.

Aquattro
04-23-2003, 07:46 PM
No, I'm pretty sure they won't say that. They got some before because everyone asked for them, but nobody ended up buying them. Seacare is the BC source for them. Jayson has them in central Ca.

AJ_77
04-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Hi - we'll have to be careful what we say now, if you work at Big Al's. :eek:

J/K - Can't they order some in for you? Mine came from Saltwater Connection (Winnipeg). Jayson is a good guy to deal with, IME.

Welcome to the bored... :wink:

Quinn
04-23-2003, 07:59 PM
oh, thought they were a standard item. although seemed odd when they weren't listed.

Asmoa
04-23-2003, 08:23 PM
lol :) there really hard to come across

Delphinus
04-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Mine came from Saltwaterconnection. J&L was selling queen conches (the last time I checked) which are apparently also good, but can get huge, so really more appropriate perhaps for larger tanks.

Trevor Robertson
04-23-2003, 09:24 PM
does Big All's not sell them?
Can they not order them?

Just wondering as you seem to work there.

Lofus
04-23-2003, 09:54 PM
What about Wai's or Gold's in Calgary?

Quinn
04-23-2003, 10:33 PM
<cha-ching> :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
04-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Fighting conch are not realy that hard to get as they are farmed in the US. the problem is they are a "specialized nich" meaning that you need a DSB for them and 90% of people with salt water tanks are probably just using crushed coral (on there LFS' recomendation of course) there for most LFS will not order tham as they will be very slow sellers and not worth the shipping in there view.

Sea Care is whare I got mine and I was extreamly happy with the packaging and the shipping.

Steve

Bob I
04-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Hi - we'll have to be careful what we say now, if you work at Big Al's. :eek:
[quote]Welcome to the bored... :wink:

No, I am not saying anything. :evil:

Fishster
04-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Teevee are you serious? You think that Denis is expensive. Compare his livestock prices J&L I think you may be surprised.

Bob I
04-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Teevee are you serious? You think that Denis is expensive. Compare his livestock prices J&L I think you may be surprised.

Who is Denis :arrow: :question:

Fishster
04-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Denis, owns Gold aquariums in Forest Lawn. Over all I think he has pretty good quality stuff at reasonable prices IMO.

Bob I
04-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Denis, owns Gold aquariums in Forest Lawn. Over all I think he has pretty good quality stuff at reasonable prices IMO.

I fully agree. although he does not seem to have a lot of fish. At least when I was there last. I did get a Tomato Clown to keep my LTA company there. It was quite inexpensive. :biggrin:

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Hmmm, good stock of corals at reasonable prices, and a few fish (not too many).

Sounds like a reefing store...

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 01:38 AM
I cruised through a couple times and there were hardly any fish. Today there were lots, but many were dying, well, ok they were writhing on the bottom.

Someone told the customer beside me the fish he was interested in would probably be all better by tomorrow.

Whatever. :rolleyes: Cheap buys the drop in shopper.

BTW, do they ever have any corals that are not brown? I am so sick of cruising around town and all the corals are brown. You guys must get up early... :razz: :mrgreen:

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 03:25 AM
But did they have any conches??

It looks like all the retailers in town are of the "livestock-as-commodity" mindset, and in a pretty tight market. As for corals other than brown, that too seems difficult, but I did get something greenish and something reddish there. Not a lot of choice and colour though...

That leaves MO. Any orders going in?
:smile:

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 04:42 AM
No, they had the lights off on half the tanks cause the fish were doing the death throe thing. I couldn't see much.

Quinn
04-26-2003, 04:48 AM
as long as we're talking about dead fish: last time i was at wei's i would have needed all my fingers and toes to count the number of dead or every close to it fish. and what's with pisces selling lava rock as live rock.

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 05:18 AM
That's a lot of dead and dying fish, just in a few local stores, just from this week's shipment...

Our beautiful hobby - recently referred to as "environmentally disastrous."

:frown:

EmilyB
04-26-2003, 05:23 AM
environmentally actually... :cool:

However, give up your glass box and I will take your big CBB to mate with Cooperette....... :razz: :lol: :mrgreen:

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 05:33 AM
ah, thanks... right you are. I forget that the problem lies not in consumer demand but with shoddy collectors and distributors.

:rolleyes:

and, no - I'm not ready to give it up (back??)... but I do think that Bandit may need a new home before the year is up. :eek:

That little one of yours IS kind of cute...
:wink:

Buccaneer
04-26-2003, 05:41 AM
as long as we're talking about dead fish: last time i was at wei's i would have needed all my fingers and toes to count the number of dead or every close to it fish. and what's with pisces selling lava rock as live rock.

Thats not LAVA rock in their show aquarium it's LAVA encrusted with brown sludge ! ... some nasty cyano tho :eek:

It has just gotten worse with every visit there ... some nasty looking $hi!te

Cheers

Buccaneer
04-26-2003, 05:44 AM
No, they had the lights off on half the tanks cause the fish were doing the death throe thing. I couldn't see much.

Did he tell you that they are recovering ( on their sides ) from the transport ? ( just having a rest so to speak )

Cheers

StirCrazy
04-26-2003, 06:01 AM
Did he tell you that they are recovering ( on their sides ) from the transport ? ( just having a rest so to speak )

Cheers

as funny as that sounds I have been told the same thing and thought.." ya right" two days later the fish is active and helthy.. :eek:

I am not saying that every one recovers but there might be some truth in that.

Steve

Buccaneer
04-26-2003, 06:06 AM

Cheers

as funny as that sounds I have been told the same thing and thought.." ya right" two days later the fish is active and helthy.. :eek:

I am not saying that every one recovers but there might be some truth in that.

Steve

Hey ... I am in the fish/coral hobby ... not in the fish biz but every fish I ever had that lay on it's side was in serious trouble ... not saying that it is not possible for them to recover but ...

Cheers

Canadian Man
04-26-2003, 05:05 PM
ah, thanks... right you are. I forget that the problem lies not in consumer demand but with shoddy collectors and distributors.

:rolleyes:

and, no - I'm not ready to give it up (back??)... but I do think that Bandit may need a new home before the year is up. :eek:

That little one of yours IS kind of cute...
:wink:
Well Alan I got a nice big 230 that "bandit"might enjoy :lol:

Tau2301
04-26-2003, 06:58 PM
AJ_77 Wrote:

The reason they collect the fish is because of the demand.

If we (and I include myself) gave up this selfish hobbie, maybe the World's Reefs could be restored. :redface:

AJ_77
04-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Well Alan I got a nice big 230 that "bandit"might enjoy :lol:
(How many conches you getting for that, and where do you expect to order from?) "Conches?! We don't need no stinking conches!"

A 230 would be a cool home for Bandit - what's your schedule on that puppy Jon? Are you allowing an extra 6 months to get past the concrete-related problems?

Canadian Man
04-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Well the current hold back is waiting for a #$%%ING city electrical inspector to come and give me the bs piece of paper saying the first step is done. I plan on having the tank full within the next month and then when I come back from holiday's at the end of June I want to do the transfer.

Regarding the concreat Agrocrete It's basically going to be cured for 2 month's and then the pieces that are small I will put in my current 30g tank which has a sand bed in it to start seeding the rock. The larger pieces 2 of them will stay in water till I am ready to fill the 230 and then they will go in the tank at that time. So total curing for the larger pieces in tap water will be 3 month's or so. Then another 1.5 month's in the tank with just saltwater and sand till the switch is made. So the basic answer to your question is "yes" :confused:

The pieces have been sitting in our spare bathtub since the beggining of March and the water has been changed every 2 to 3 days.