PDA

View Full Version : Fiji Update

TimT
03-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would update everyone as to what is happening with the importation of Fiji CITES listed animals.

I was told by higher ups in Environment Canada at Ottawa that "pending legislation that importation of CITES animals from Fiji was suspended". This was on February 6th, I cancelled my planned importation for the following week.

Two weeks later I heard from customers that people were importing products from Fiji. I contacted the local Environment Canada Wildlife Inspector who checked with his superiors in Ottawa. He told me that "pending the legislation they had no legal authority to seize shipments" and it would probably take two years for the "wheels" to turn.

This basically boils down to being told two different stories from two different people in Environment Canada in Ottawa. Both of them in significantly high enough position's to know what they were talking about.

Presently Fiji is NOT banned. I have spoken to a friend who works with the local Fijians and they have told her that the CITES paperwork should be in place by the end of May. This will effectively remove Fiji from the CITES recommendation to suspend trade.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Best Regards,
Tim