PDA

View Full Version : Mounting/Hanging Tek Lights

Barrett.Oliver
10-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Good Evening Everybody,

I recently purchased the 24" Tek light fixture for my tank. Now I'm throwing around a couple of different ideas on how to have them light my tank. By this I mean, obviously or so everyone knows.....they will only mount to a tank with the bracket system, if the tank is the same size as the lighting system. My question for eveyone is could you help me throw around a couple of ideas on how to do this?? One rule while helping.... if anyone decides to lend a helping hand....is that I cannot hang them from the ceiling due to a stucco finish on it(it would be rather messy upon setup) A couple of my ideas are;

-silicon glass pieces to the top of the tank on either side, in order for the bracket system to work. pros/cons??

-have some "L" brackets made to mount on the wall behind the tank and suspend the light with the hanging kit. pros/cons??

How about anyone else's ideas? Pictures on how others have done this too?? Also, many thanks to those who can give me some insight on getting this done. The sooner they're mounted, the better the tanks feels about it.

Thanks Again,
Barrett

Ryan_Lap
10-19-2008, 05:46 AM
You could use make brackets that hang to the wall.

Another idea is to make brackets that attach to the stand at the back(or sides), the hang the fixture from that.

I like the second idea better. When its complete is looks better IMO.

Barrett.Oliver
10-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Nobody else has any ideas??

fkshiu
10-20-2008, 05:16 AM
The absolute cheapest method would be to lay a couple of pieces of wood along on top of each side of the tank (front to back) and then lay the fixture on top of the wood.

inspector
10-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Hi do you have any pictures of your tank and canopy ? I have a metal halide hood and I had the same problem with the ceiling and not wanting to see chains or cables. I ended up buying some brackets from revy for $13 they are adjustable and only 1/8" wide so don't block any light.

The hood sits on top of the bracket not hung,they are hidden behind my canopy top.
I will try and post pictures later hope this helped.

Paul

Albertan22
10-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Have you considered just buying the bracket kit for the lights?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl-t5tlzbk/Sunlight+Supply+Tek+Light+T5+Tank+Bracket+Kit.html

May not be the cheapest, but may be the easiest.

Trigger Man
10-25-2008, 06:57 PM
On mine I have L brackets that attach to the stand and this works well. The only problem I find is when cleaning the tank it is a little hard as my lights are about 3.5 inches above the tank so getting my arm into the tank is a little bit of a pain. I did see somewhere on here where someone made a sliding bracket for their lights and that caught my eyes, might be something to think about.