PDA

View Full Version : Help - Mantis Shrimp or Pistol Shrimp

j83
10-18-2008, 07:36 PM
The other day I bought a few Emerald crabs and whenever one gets near a certain hole in the rock, I can see and hear a tiny 'shrimp' snap at the crab. The hole that this thing is living in is tiny and I have not added any new live rock in well over 18 months... From what I can see, it's 'snapper/pincher,' for lack of a better term, is about the size of a grain of rice.

I am trying to figure out if it is a Mantis Shrimp or just a Pistol Shrimp. Does anyone have any experience with either of these creatures? From what I have read, mantis grow to be somewhat larger (ie. 3-4 inches) than pistol shrimp who are smaller in size. With the rock in the tank being older, I would think that what ever is living in it would be past it's juvenile stage and closer to full size? Is there such thing as a mini mantis?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

justinl
10-18-2008, 08:12 PM
at that size it cannot pose any threat to anything in the tank. I wouldn't worry about it

untamed
10-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah...it may be a while before you figure out which type it is...but it doesn't matter. They are both going to be harmless.

sunce_22
10-18-2008, 09:59 PM
If you here the snapping when the crab approaches the hole in the rock then you are dealing with a pistol shrimp. Pistol shrimp have pinchers and will make that snapping noise as a warning mechanism to potential intruders. A Mantis shrimp would only make that noise if it was hitting something. They don't give any warning.

My Guess: PISTOL SHRIMP. Almost 100% Positive!:biggrin:

j83
10-18-2008, 11:32 PM
My Guess: PISTOL SHRIMP. Almost 100% Positive!:biggrin:

Well I like that guess! After reading a bit more I would have to agree with you.

Thanks!

Jay

don.ald
10-18-2008, 11:56 PM
a mantis would go after it's prey, it wouldn't likely try to scare it away

justinl
10-19-2008, 01:49 AM
if the crab was significantly larger, i doubt a mantis would commit suicide in the hopes of a meal. and yeah, I would have to agree with sunce, likely a pistol.