PDA

View Full Version : Cyphastrea growth

jasond
10-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, I have had this frag for over for months with little or no growth. It is mid tank under t5's, with good med flow. All parameters are in check, as my other SPS/LPS seems to be growing just fine. Any hints or tricks with this stuff?

Here is the link to what I have:

http://www.wickedfrags.com/lps_pop030_redcyphastrea.html

wickedfrags
10-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I keep keep this coral low in the tank under a 400W Radium. Growth is moderate with most cyphastreas (encrusting), including this one, with the cyphastria decadia (branching) being a slow grower.

What output t5 do you have? 54W?

fkshiu
10-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I've both the encrusting and branching cyphastria variants and both seem to do better under indirect light and low/medium flow. In other words, treat them like LPS. Unfortunately, from what I've read about them and IME both are also relatively slow growers.

jasond
10-17-2008, 10:37 PM
As I figured, I am just impatient :biggrin:

I will try moving it lower to indirect light, and less flow. It is under 39W-HO X 6

Haloreef
10-18-2008, 12:30 AM
I have the boulder form. Mine is Green with red polyps. I kept mine at the bottom of my tank under 400 watt MH. It was very pale. I slowly moved it up to mid water and, what a colour change! Now it is one of my favorites.
Still it seems very slow growing. Yours seems to be a different colour than mine. If you are ever interested in trading frags let me know.
Keith.