PDA

View Full Version : Propagating Mangroves

Black Phantom
10-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Has anyone tried this. I have a dozen plants that are doing very good but I want more. Do I start the cuttings in saltwater, freshwater, dirt?
Is there anything special that needs to be done?
Thanx :biggrin:

Phanman
10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Try here:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38647&highlight=mangroves

Black Phantom
10-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the article.
It doesn't let me know if I can take cuttings from my existing plants and restart them like you would a household plant.
Do I need to wait for my existing plants to drop some seeds or can I try a different method.

michika
10-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Mangroves must be started from seeds, cuttings won't take. I thought of doing something similar and just ended up googling mangrove care and their lifecycle.

Black Phantom
10-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Mangroves must be started from seeds, cuttings won't take. I thought of doing something similar and just ended up googling mangrove care and their lifecycle.

Thanks Michika
Thats kind of what I thought. I tried the cutting thing with no luck. Oh well. Just have to be happy with what I have. :smile:

justinl
10-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Any mangrove you'll see in a tank at home is nothing more than a seedling. When a mangrove propagates, it's a tree. It drops pods that randomly stick or drift off to grow in sand or mud and grow there. Our mangroves, no more than 2 feet in height are just not mature enough.