PDA

View Full Version : 1inch diamond hole saw

Phanman
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I went to princess auto as well as crappy tire and couldnt find a 1" hole saw. Anyone know where I can grab one in town? Need it this weekend so online places are out. Or if anyone has a 1" hole saw I can borrow or you can drill for me that would be fantastic too.

Thanks,

Der_Iron_Chef
10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I know you can find them at Rona, but they're really expensive (probably $80 ea. for a 1 3/4" bit).

Delphinus
10-17-2008, 05:40 PM
House of Tools maybe? I'm not sure. I remember a couple years back I looked for some local suppliers of diamond bits (there is a category in the yellow pages IIRC), but they were not cheap. Most of the places seem to be geared towards more industrial users.

One thing I noticed, just looking at MOPS.ca to see their selection because I thought maybe 1" sounds like an odd size, and I notice that they have 14mm bits and then the next size up is 30mm.

14mm is I think about 5/8" which is good for a float valve, 30mm is slightly over 1" (I think it works out to about 1-3/16"). May I ask, what are you drilling the hole for? I have a 5/8" bit and a 1-3/4" bit if it helps, you're welcome to borrow. Although it sounds huge, 1-3/4" is the hole size you want for a 1" bulkhead. The bulkhead walls are pretty thick.

ElGuappo
10-17-2008, 05:41 PM
i just saw a set of 4 in a junk mail ad for 150 cant remember what store tho. doh.

Phanman
10-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Thx guys. The reason I need the hole drilled this weekend is because currently I have a 20 gal tank that houses 4 clown fish (2 true percs, 2 blk/wht occs.) They have been fine for about a month and a half together. But when the blk occs come near the anenome the female perc gives them the boot. The blk/wht occs have taken to the frogspawn but as of the last two days the female perc doesnt want them there either, lol. So as long as the occs are not hosting anything then they are fine. But I dont want the female to go crazy one day and start attacking them.

When can i drop by Tony and get the holes done? I'll bring the bulk head as well to make sure the size is correct. I can bring you some coffee or beer if ya like for your help.

Thanks,

Jay180reef
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
As an aside, I drilled my sumps last night for 2" bulkheads. I got my 3" drill bit from glass-holes.com for $14. They also have a 'how-to' drill a glass hole video on their website.

Phanman
10-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Thx Jay,

I have the 1inch hole saw now. Tony was kind enough to lend it to me. Will be attempting the third tank tonight. First two tanks didnt work out so well so to speak, lol.

Jay180reef
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
What happened?

Delphinus
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Both of them snapped cracks in the panel just as the drill bit got to the other side. I don't know if I screwed it up or if it's because the glass was pretty thin. It occurs to me I've never drilled anything thinner than 4.5mm before (this was 1/8" or about 3mm thick I think). :(

I feel pretty bad about it. :( I've drilled easily 20-30 holes before and only had glass break on me in 2 or 3 cases, and usually there was a reason. One time it was because I lost my balance and fell forward onto my sump as I was drilling it. Another time was because I was drilling on the vertical into a running tank, probably the riskiest scenario of all.

Phanman
10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Like I said yesturday, dont worry about it Tony. It is pretty thin glass and I appreciate you helping me out. I do have alot of scrap glass now thou if I ever need baffles or anything :lol:

Hopefully the attempt tonight goes better as its the last tank I got. Ill let you know tomorrow. If it dont work I might just go order a tank predrilled.

Jay180reef
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
oh wow, 1/8"? That would be tricky. I probably would have cracked my 1/4" if I didn't have a clutch on my drill. It snagged just as I was finishing up.