PDA

View Full Version : 150w HQI Bulb Suggestions?

OCDP
10-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Added a 150w HQI pendant to my tank, it's a Coralife Clamp-on fixture. Right now there's a 14k (coralife brand) bulb in there, and it looks decent, just not enough blue for my liking.

I'm out of the loop, who makes a nice 150w 14k? I hear a lot of good things about Hamilton's and Phoenix?? I'm looking more for colour than intensity, so 14-20k would be fine.

Thanks

mseepman
10-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I saw a Phoenix when I was in Calgary this week and it looked pretty nice. Not sure where they got it though.

I have purchased from a guy on e-bay for both my tanks...lo cost and I've been happy with them. Here is a link. http://stores.ebay.ca/Trust-Deals-Lights

Hope that helps.

brizzo
10-17-2008, 05:56 PM
See this thread:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42545

Whatigot
10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I bought 2 geissman 12k looking for a fair compromise between blue color and par and I wish I'd gone with phoenix'

they are a really nice bulb and have fantastic par/dollar value....

OCDP
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Nazerine,

Interesting, I am aware of the lack of UV protection. If I have to stick with Coralife bulbs, then so be it.. but knowing me, I'll have a piece of glass cut either way. Seems like a good way for Coralife to have you purchase their bulbs only!

Was the glass hard to put into the fixture? Getting it under the grill might be a challenge? Anyways, I'll keep this in mind, not too worried about it.

OCDP
10-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Alright, so apparantley the Coralife bulbs are UV protected, the little guard that comes with it is a splash guard, not a UV guard.. I am becoming a little worried about UV spilling into the tank and into my family room. So much conflicting advice, but if Coralife says the bulb is UV protected, then I guess I go by that.

Anyone know where I could get a piece of glass cut to block out the UV?? I'm not really willing to take any chances and would like the freedom to upgrade to different bulbs.

brizzo
10-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Nazerine,

Interesting, I am aware of the lack of UV protection. If I have to stick with Coralife bulbs, then so be it.. but knowing me, I'll have a piece of glass cut either way. Seems like a good way for Coralife to have you purchase their bulbs only!

Was the glass hard to put into the fixture? Getting it under the grill might be a challenge? Anyways, I'll keep this in mind, not too worried about it.

Aha, you have asked the right guy! As you know, the grill is actually removable. Both ends of the fixture you can pop out the plastic end cap, and slide the grill out. Now, the other nice thing coralife was so nice to do, was have mounting pegs at either end of the fixture, so you can install a second fan.

I ended up buying two sunon maglev 3000rpm fans that run @ 6v, 40mm. I can get the part number when I get home. Incoming voltage is 12v, so it works nicely have 2x6v fans = 12v, no extra wiring, wall warts, or under powered fans.

I never actually finished the mod though, it was tough to get a glass shop to order me such a small piece of tempered glass. (Maybe I will check a few places today .. hmm hmm!) I just kept running the glass top on my nanocube, and it really helped with evaporation.

The only reason I wanted to use tempered glass is for the sake of higher heat rating. Glass shop guy said 3mm glass should be good to 165C...

My bulb is about due to be replaced ... My thoughts were....

I'm either going to buy a corallife 20k bulb

OR

Find an old broken 24" fixture, cut it down to fit my tank, retrofit the 150metal halide into it, run a 10k bulb, and retrofit 2x8w actinics into it... I have a feeling it will end up going the DIY route :mrgreen:

Whatigot
10-17-2008, 07:30 PM
my fixture was is a coralife aqualight advanced and the bulbs were 20k coralifes and making the switch to the geissmans about 2 months ago has only given me better color and growth....

brutus187
10-18-2008, 12:29 AM
i just upgraded to phoenix 14k 150w bulbs yesterday. I had coralife 20k bulbs for the longest time and got nearly 0 coral growth. Colours were good but no growth. I'm liking the phoenix bulbs better already - a good mix of blue.

cainer
10-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I have had the 14k 150w Phoenix on a 30 gal for about a year. Really intense blue. I put a Digita and a Monti Cap in about 1 week ago and have already seen about 5mm growth on both...

You can get it on marinedepot.com

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?category=14000K_Metal_Halide_Bulb ___Phoenix__Double_Ended_Saltwater_Aquarium_Suppli es_Lighting_Bulbs_Metal_Halide_Double_Ended_150_Wa tts&vendor=Phoenix&SearchStr=&action=view&idProduct=MB2664&idCategory=FILTBUMHDEHW

cainer
10-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Here is a picture of the Phoenix 150w 14k in the early days of the tank.

http://richardcain.dyndns.org/~rcain/tank.jpg

mseepman
10-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Nazerine, funny that they made their fixture different between the advanced and the Aqualight pro...I have used many bulbs in my pro...never had a UV problem and I have the light down to within a few inches of the water...I e-mailed Coralife when I saw your original post and eventually they e-mailed me back that it was in fact a UV glass shield on the Pro but that's all they said.

brizzo
10-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmm, that might explain a few things if there's two different versions!

Does your have a glass plate in it, or a finned aluminum diffuser??

My has a half c-shaped 'splash guard' for the bulb, but it covers like 2/3rds of the bulbs and thats it.

mseepman
10-19-2008, 03:56 AM
The Aqualight pro has a full glass plate in it and no guard around the bulb. The plate is 1/4" glass.

OCDP
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
The Aqualight pro has a full glass plate in it and no guard around the bulb. The plate is 1/4" glass.

Yeah, the Aqualight Pro's have a plate of glass covering the bulbs, while the Coralife Clamp-on does not.. so silly to me.

Either way, I am fairly impressed with the unit, it's a hell of a lot nicer than the old Coralife PC unit I had on the tank. Nice "open top" (still eggcrate covered) but nothing sitting on the eggcrate. The unit is sleek, small and nice on the eyes, no complaints.

Nazerine, do you find that your unit makes "rattling" noises? Mine keeps rattling , and it gets fairly loud. I thought it was the metal grates loose and rattling, so I took it off but that wasn't what's causing noise... I may take it apart tonight and check things out.

Sounds like when I do change bulbs, I'll try out this Phoenix 14k. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Thanks a lot for all the input.

Samw
01-03-2009, 01:28 AM
For 150w, I have tried Giesemann Megachrome Marine, Icecap 10K, and Phoenix. I like the Phoenix best out of the 3.

JDigital
01-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I'd recommend the Ushio 14K's... I got 2x250 14Ks Ushios on my 75.. and I love it.. My whole living room has a nice blue tinge to it.. :mrgreen: