PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Troubles

rstar
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has had troubles with their skimmer (euroreef) overflowing. I am currently running a rs100 insump skimmer, and the last two days ive come home to a sump FILLED with foam and a collection cup overflowing, anyone have any idea was causes this?

albert_dao
10-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Have you used any water conditioners or medications lately?

RuGlu6
10-16-2008, 08:05 PM
usually it is somthing added to your water, ie. food or any thing,
some times two part epoxy will create a lot of foam
If nothyng was added then check if there is a dead body there somewhere

rstar
10-16-2008, 08:18 PM
This isnt the first time its happened, it happened 3 or 4 times before, i dont use any water conditioners, other than the usual, idodide, mag, dkh, stront, etc, i feed new life pellets once a day, and mysis and brine once a day. and i dont use any medications. And no there are no dead bodies, is it the food? And if so is it normal practice to unplug a skimmer during feeding? if so, how long. When i do feed it seems the water level in my skimmer goes down to nothing...

RuGlu6
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
If you are using fat based food, this might be the case.
Try using more protein based food.
If after feeding level goes down so be it, it will go back up after a while.
But if it is overflowing after feeding, then it will make sense to shut down the skimmer for some time, rather then to play with skimmer adjustments every time you feed imo

slakker
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
I find that adjusting the skimmer after feeding, dosing additives, etc. usually cause this. ie; it's adjusted when water params aren't at their norm. I adjust mine usually before feeding mid day (after work) or at least a few hours after feeding helps. Even if it goes wonky after feeding, I leave it alone unless it's really overflowing.

I also find that cleaning the air hose intake at the pump helps...

rstar
10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Ive cleaned the air hose housing on the skimmer, and do not adjust the skimmer (unless of course it overflows). The level in skimmer always goes down after feeding, and so i never re adjust it because it always goes back not.... not sure why its overflowing. And i overflow i mean over flow. my sump looks like a big skimmer cup when it overflow, foam comming out of the sume about 12 inches high.

albert_dao
10-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Does the water level in your sump go up and down?

rstar
10-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Not in the chamber that the skimmer sits in. So no, i wish it was something that simple!

slakker
10-16-2008, 11:23 PM
very odd indeed... I have the RS80 skimmer so I assume it's a similar setup... how high do you have the bubbles coming up the neck?

And I noticed the same, that food does drop the level and thought maybe it was adjusted when food was in the water, hence once that's settled, it'll over flow, but that's not the problem... hmmmm...