PDA

View Full Version : Favorite goby

cwickham
10-16-2008, 04:56 PM
so im thinking about getting a yellow watchman goby, wondering what your guys favorite goby is.

thanks
craig

Barrett.Oliver
10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
IMO, I would go with another goby rather than the Yellow Watchman. I have a Yellow Watchman, and a Firefish(I would suggest the Firefish). Frankly the Yellow Watchman I never see, he only comes out to hang out with the Firefish maybe once a week. As soon as he sees anyone from the "outside" he jets to his hiding hole, just to peek from this hole for the rest of the day.
Don't get me wrong, beautiful fish. Just not as fun if your looking at getting it for the asthetic value.
This is only my personal experience though. As you likely will, wait for others to tell you about their Yellow Watchman.
-Barrett

Carmen
10-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I really love my Diamond Watchman Goby. Comes out quite abit and does a great job of sifting the sand and yet never covers my corals with sand (Keeps it low to the ground). Really helps to keep the sand clean. Neat little fish to watch. Friendly with everything else in the tank.
Here's a picture of mine:
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/Claire2yrBdayCandleLakeJuly2008t-5.jpgsmile:

lorenz0
10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Frankly the Yellow Watchman I never see, he only comes out to hang out with the Firefish maybe once a week. As soon as he sees anyone from the "outside" he jets to his hiding hole, just to peek from this hole for the rest of the day.

oh i am in the same boat. i love my little basterd but right now he is watching me from his creeper hole lol. such a nice fish but i do agree, its like you never see them

Matt
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, I can't recommend the YWG myself, but for different reasons. Mine grew up, turned itself grey (not nearly as attractive) and has become the bully of the tank. It ate at least one (that I caught it at) cleaner shrimp, and eats anything that moves or stays still. Add that to the mess it makes of the sand and any low-sitting corals, and you've got the least-favourite fish I've ever owned. Hardy, though. Still going strong years later. And it is categorically, most definitely, NOT shy.

Phanman
10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
My fav would be the panda goby, but unless you got a nano you wont see it very often.

Whatigot
10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
clown goby.
cheap, active and hillarious.

Hairytank
10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
The Diamond Watchman Goby is also my favorite and for the same reasons listed in Carmen's post.

JDigital
10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
clown goby.
cheap, active and hillarious.

I love my YCG too.. Might try a diamond goby in my contest tank tho! hmmm

lorenz0
10-17-2008, 12:01 AM
i really like Red Headed goby's (Elacatinus multifasciatum) and Spikefin goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) but i have yet to see them in person. they look so cool in pictures

noirsphynx
10-17-2008, 12:42 AM
How about a Blenny? I have a Bi-color Blenny and he has so much character, I just love him. I find Jawfish have so much personality too, I don't have one YET but will soon I hope.

Ian
10-17-2008, 03:44 AM
I love my yellow watchman goby, he is paired with a pistol and I see them both a few times a day. He is vey skittish but not a bully at all..Maybe I just got lucky with mine

Lance
10-17-2008, 04:40 AM
My YWG lives in a large barnacle with a Blue Gudgeon. They are great pals. The YWG didn't come out very often before the BG moved in with him; now he is out much more often.

AndyL
10-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Eviota, and the redhead goby... Awesome little guys, but yeah - they tend to get lost in even a 2.5g tank. For some reason, even though I've had a couple, never had the same fondness for the trimma as I did for the eviotas and redheads.

Rainfords and Hector's are great in those 5-20s, but again get lost as you get bigger... Keeping them in the tank and healthy's always been my problem with em.

Sebae again
10-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Moon or also known as Cave goby. Unfortunately he usually only comes out to feed.

BlueAbyss
10-17-2008, 05:37 AM
I sort of like the Yashia goby, Stonogobiops yashia (hope thats right for the fish I was looking at). This is based solely on the fact that he's neat looking and a shrimp goby.

Diana
10-17-2008, 05:38 AM
Moon or also known as Cave goby. Unfortunately he usually only comes out to feed.

Yeah! The upsidedown cave goby! I have one he is awesome. Love overhands and caves to perch in. :D

Going by sheer looks: catalina goby. Too bad they are temperate and hard to keep. Figures! ;)

JDigital
10-17-2008, 06:04 AM
How could I forget... Helfrich's Firefish.. SoOoOo nice!

Red Coral Aquariums
10-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Spikefin goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) but i have yet to see them in person. they look so cool in pictures

We have a pair of the spikefin Gobies in the Display RSM at the store. They only come out when the lights are out and I have seen them a few times later at night when doing paperwork. They are really neat as it looks like they hop around on the sand.
Kevin