PDA

View Full Version : Eggs!

smaloney
10-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a pair of tomato clowns who have now laid 3 sets of eggs in the last 8 weeks, they always stick them to the glass of the tank. My question is how can I protect them from being fish food as soon as they hatch? I have yet to see any fry swimming around the tank......

untamed
10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I have a pair of tomato clowns who have now laid 3 sets of eggs in the last 8 weeks, they always stick them to the glass of the tank. My question is how can I protect them from being fish food as soon as they hatch? I have yet to see any fry swimming around the tank......

You would need to remove the fry immediately upon hatching (there are some tricks to doing that), or remove the eggs just before they hatch. Of course, unless you are then completely prepared to deal with fry, they would be doomed anyway.

atcguy
10-16-2008, 03:56 PM
mine do the same thing.. look at it as a positive way if my parameters are good they lay eggs every 2 weeks... I had problems keeping levels where they should be for about 3 months.. they never layed eggs... extra fish food for your tank!!!

smaloney
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Thats what I firgured, thanks for the input!

Phanman
10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
If you have the food ready for the fry, then I would suggest putting a piece of tile where the clowns are laying the eggs so next time they do lay eggs you can remove the piece of tile easily. Make sure you get two pieces of tile (one to replace the tile with the eggs on it once removed). Now dont remove the tile till about the 7th-8th day... as soon as you see eyes. This way the male will take care of the eggs for you till hatching time.

For the fry tank you will need rotifiers and photoplankton, and an airstone to name a few things. Its not easy to raise fry so it may take you a few attempts. Get the book Clownfish by Joyce Wilkerson... this will help you out alot.