PDA

View Full Version : Foxface sting

Lance
10-16-2008, 04:18 AM
Well I don't have to wonder anymore what it feels like to get stung by a rabbitfish. My foxface just got me about an hour ago. It's my own fault: I had been feeding him by hand for the past month or two and he has completely lost his fear of my hand in the tank. I was rearranging some corals and felt something touch my arm. (I think he was nibbling on the hair on my arm) Of course when I saw him touching me I jerked my arm away just as he was moving in the same direction and he got me near the elbow. Hurt like hell. Immediately went and washed the area with soapy water, and then soaked it in very hot water. I think I got lucky: on closer examination there is only one small puncture wound. I don't think too much venom got in as it didn't swell up much and a bit of tingling but no numbness. Felt kinda like a sting from a wasp or hornet but with more of a hot feeling.
It kinda freaked my wife out and she checks on me every 5 mins or so.:lol:
I have never had an allergic reaction to anything, so I wasn't too concerned.
After about 15 mins the pain started to subside and now there only a small amount of pain and a little tingling left.
I guess it's not a good idea to become buddies with a rabbitfish and I don't think I'll be hand feeding him anymore.:mrgreen:

Carmen
10-16-2008, 04:27 AM
UGH! Well I have to be honest you have made me completely rethink getting a foxface!:wink: I don't think I want to accidently bump into one while fixing up the tank.
Glad to hear you are okay!

tgoeujon
10-16-2008, 04:35 AM
well thats one thing i dont have to wonder about anymore. lol
glad your alright though

Lance
10-16-2008, 04:52 AM
UGH! Well I have to be honest you have made me completely rethink getting a foxface!:wink: I don't think I want to accidently bump into one while fixing up the tank.

Don't let me scare you off. They are a really nice fish. I know people who've kept them for years and never got stung. I'm just a jack-ass who wasn't careful enough.:redface:

Reef_kid
10-16-2008, 06:45 AM
i use to have a foxface i kept him for about 6 years..and i never got stung...
i always was curious about it...

mark
10-16-2008, 01:11 PM
thanks for the first hand review.

justinl
10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
lol I had a foxface too but was never stung. glad to hear you're alright though. Carmen, foxfaces are such sweet fish that the only reason I could think of not to get one is if you're hyperallergenic.

Carmen
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
lol I had a foxface too but was never stung. glad to hear you're alright though. Carmen, foxfaces are such sweet fish that the only reason I could think of not to get one is if you're hyperallergenic.

Okay! Thanks I will keep it on the list of possibilities as I do think they are a truly neat looking fish.:wink:

fragNplug
12-26-2008, 07:51 PM

Didnt change her mind seen her today at redcoral with a foxface in a baggy. nice to meet you in person carmen.

Pan
12-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Why the hell would you need to hand feed your foxface anyways? :)

Snappy
12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Ouch, glad you're ok.

Lance
12-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Why the hell would you need to hand feed your foxface anyways? :)

Because I'm a DUMB-ASS and because I hand feed most of the fish, and he happens to be one of them that will take it from my fingers.

Skimmerking
12-26-2008, 10:02 PM
yes
lance you are a Dumb Ass, lol
if I get stung I will die... and I still had one it ate out of my hand.. too,..

Lance
12-26-2008, 11:22 PM
yes
lance you are a Dumb Ass, lol
if I get stung I will die... and I still had one it ate out of my hand.. too,..

So, therefore you are a bigger DUMB ASS than me.:wink: I don't die, it just hurts like hell.:mrgreen:

Carmen
12-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Didnt change her mind seen her today at redcoral with a foxface in a baggy. nice to meet you in person carmen.

Thanks FragNPlug -didn't catch your first name! But it was nice to meet you too! My new foxface has adjusted super well and am happy to have him as a new addition to my tank! Seems to have alot of personality already, confident and swimming with my copperband!

Carmen

Lance
12-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks FragNPlug -didn't catch your first name! But it was nice to meet you too! My new foxface has adjusted super well and am happy to have him as a new addition to my tank! Seems to have alot of personality already, confident and swimming with my copperband!

Carmen

Im sure you will enjoy him, they have great personalities.

Keri
12-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I still feed FoxFaceFive (aka: Todd) by hand....along with my other fish....mind you I still feed the snakes by hand too, I don't get tagged very often ;)

I'll risk the sting...untill I get stung...if it's very bad lol just because I like feeding them that way, I feel like they become less scared of my hands in the tank for maintenance that way.

Lance
12-27-2008, 12:39 AM
I still feed FoxFaceFive (aka: Todd) by hand....along with my other fish....mind you I still feed the snakes by hand too, I don't get tagged very often ;)

I'll risk the sting...untill I get stung...if it's very bad lol just because I like feeding them that way, I feel like they become less scared of my hands in the tank for maintenance that way.

I agree. Mellow fish are happy fish!

Red Deer Reptiles
12-27-2008, 04:35 AM
a put arm under hot water it well spreed out venom. if large amount of swelling happens go see doctor now venomous dorsal and anal fin hot water please. if your up. gloves are a great ideal next time. dan

SATELLITE
12-27-2008, 05:28 AM
ya i have that problem. i would really like to have one but my g/f is allergic to bee stings. all bad. if i get one atleast i know her hands won't be in the tank. but if i don't get one then i know she will still help me with the things in the tank...

my2rotties
12-27-2008, 05:33 AM
I was stung by my Foxface while I was playing around in my tank. He always had to be in the way and I cornered him between a rock and the glass. It hurt like a big needles being shoved into my finger, and bled for a long time. I was home alone and waited for something to happen with it. Nothing did, just bleeding. There wer no hard feelings between Ed and I.

SATELLITE
12-27-2008, 05:36 AM
i would have to drive very fast to hospital for her.