PDA

View Full Version : Nano Wavebox has me nervous

Slick Fork
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey all,

Just got my Nano Wavebox yesterday, leafing through the directions it gives me a warning about not strong enough stands and tanks. Is this something that's a real concern or is it just a legal disclaimer sort of notice?

I put it in, and holy smokes does it rock. I got about an inch and a half wave on my 110 which is 60" long, 18" front to back and 24" high. I'm just nervous about that much water schlossing around on a home made stand and a tank I bought used. I have been trying to justify a tank upgrade anyway so maybe this is my excuse :lol:

I'll post a video when I get home from work tonight, anybody on the fence about these... don't be!

slakker
10-15-2008, 01:28 PM
1 1/2 inch is a pretty high wave... I think the warning is a CYA from Tunze. I've sent them an e-mail asking before I got mine. They indicated that 2 tanks have failed based on their experience. One was a really old tank and the other is a DIY tank.

With a 110 G tank, that's 1100 lbs of water alone + rocks, etc. So think about that much water being rocked and how much momentum the stand has to hold for that dynamic weight.

Slick Fork
10-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Yeah, it's all that weight moving around that's got me a little spooked. Anyone know if there's any way to tell if the stand is good or not?

Or does the stand even "feel" the movement as a sideways motion or is it just a constant redistribution of weight? I'm less worried about weight redistribution then the stand itself swaying. Any thoughts?

slakker
10-16-2008, 05:59 AM
You got a description of your stand or better, a picture?

Slick Fork
10-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Here's a shot of the stand as it was going up. Pretty much the same now, but I've got a sheet of styrofoam underneath.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/chrisandheather/misc%20stuff/inwall004.jpg

slakker
10-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Holy cr*p, that's 2x4 construction. You can rock an elephant on there. If everything is level and square, you ahouldn't have any issues with the stand. I think 1 1/2 inch is a high wave and may adjust that based on what corals you're keeping. Also, that's a lot of water your tank is holding back. Just a thought, I have mine on a 72G with 1/2" wave.

RuGlu6
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I f you are too nervous just put a pale of water on top of your canopy and see if it's moving at all.
Just to mention that wave box moves water up and down on the sides mostly and a lot less left and right

Slick Fork
10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the reassurances guys, The stand is square and I've never even considered it not taking a static load.

I'll try the bucket of water trick as well, just to put my mind at ease!

I posted this question on the Tunze forum over on Reef Central as well, Rvitko responded that waveboxes had caused 2 tanks to fail but both were home-made tanks. He advised caution with the waveboxes on older tanks and unlevel stands.

slakker
10-17-2008, 06:46 AM
that and bow fronts, but I've seen on 3 bow fronts with no problems