PDA

View Full Version : Update on MEI's Crystal Sea

sumpfinfishe
04-23-2003, 03:48 AM
After reading tons of threads on RC and and staying in contact with Sam(who is also using CS), I thought that it's time to update you all on my trial of using this mix.

I was using IO in my 27gl for over five years, then switched to MEI's Crystal Sea a few months ago. After performing two 5gl water changes(1 per month), I am happy to report no ill effects :smile:

So I guess I will stick with it for now :exclaim:

I also wanted to mention my three bits:

One- that I have noticed no residue in the pail after mixing CR- I always got residue when mixing IO :smile:

Two- on a negitive note I don't like the fact that I have to use a hammer and chissel to break up my new saltmix :sad:

Three- I fragged about 30 pieces of Digitata and Gorgonian on the weekend and was happy to see that nearly all the frags have fully extended there polyps after only two days :smile: When I fragged about three months ago, it took over a week for the same corals to open up.

IMO-I think there has to be some serious long-term test before we can draw conclussions on which mix is "best". People have asked why I decided to change after using IO for so long-Well the only answer I can provide is that I want to use the most natural ASW as possible.

Sam experienced some effects, which I'm sure he will provide details in a reply on this post.

Time will tell :mrgreen:
cheers, Rich

Samw
04-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Well, I wasn't really going to mention anything. :lol:

Can't remember now. What did I mention in my Email? I think I said that my anemones closed up for a day after the first time I did a 10% water change. I noticed the water was a bit cloudy as well. Nothing major. Some people on RC are having mixed results with their SPS and softies. I've done about 3 water changes with the new salt and everything seems great now.

sumpfinfishe
05-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi all, well things were going ok with my new saltmix trial until my third change, it was not so good :eek:
I did my third change with the salt yesterday and it finally happened :evil:
All my stony's completly closed up, my anemone, and some of my softies as well. I had the water mixing for 4 days in a pail with a 402 powerhead and a Optima air pump and stone cranked up before changing it. All perameters where the same:PH,Salinity,Temp,etc... I don't know why but also when I added the new water it did not disolve completley as it turned the tank cloudy. It took about two hours for everything to re-open and clear up. The Frogspawn and Montipora however took way longer-about six hours. And both my acro frags shed some serious mucus too :exclaim:

I don't know if I'm liking this new saltmix anymore :sad: When I used IO I never experienced these kind of problems. I also see that there is a growing number of people responding to the thread on RC with the same troubles. I can only guess that MEI'S refinning process is not as good, this would explain the cloudyness and also the brick like form that it came in.

I have about half a box left, so I think my trial period will only be for a few more months and then I will make my decision as to sticking with the Crystal Sea or going back to Instant Ocean.

Cheers, Rich :mrgreen: P.S. Thanks Tony :exclaim:
Here is the link to the growing thread on RC if anyone's interested:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=168736&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Delphinus
05-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update!

Fishster
05-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know of any MO of local store where this salt is available?

Samw
05-07-2003, 04:04 PM
I do notice that the water isn't as clear as the water from IO. Not a great concern to me as it clears up in a few hours.

With respect to not dissolving completely, its not much different from IO. With IO, I would mix overnight and there would still be snow in the bucket. I don't think it is salt though but something else that only dissolves over time. Probably a buffer of some sort.

I haven't noticed any extreme effects with the new salt like bleaching of my softies or anything like that. In the last change, only the bubble coral closed up for a few hours. Everything else is now use to it.

rgardiner
05-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Fishter - Crystal Sea is available from Mail Order Pet Supplies http://mops.on.ca That's where I got mine from, but after one 15G water change (in a 90G tank) I won't be using it again. Within a day I noticed substancial bleaching of most of my corals (including a montipora, a plate coral and a large-polyped leather). They are gradually recovering.

Aquattro
05-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Roy, I'll buy the remainder from you if you want to get rid of it. I have some problem algae I want to kill. Email or PM me if you're interested.

sumpfinfishe
05-19-2003, 06:53 AM
Hi Brad, well I have enough CS to treat about 35-40 gls.
At the next meeting I will give it to you free of charge, and you can see for yourself if you like it or not.

I have made up my mind today to stop using this salt, as I'm just not happy with the results within my reef :frown:

P.S. Brad, if you want to donate a pocillapora frag for the saltmix that would be great- as I have nearly lost both pieces due to bleaching in the last week.

cheers, Rich :mrgreen:

EmilyB
05-19-2003, 07:12 AM
P.S.

No stars for you Brad...till later.. :confused:

Aquattro
05-19-2003, 07:18 AM
P.S.

No stars for you Brad...till later.. :confused:

Instilling confidence wherever she goes :biggrin:

I have some salt now Rich, but thanks for the offer. My main interest is the reports of it killing wafer algae. I'm otherwise happy using IO. And really, what am I going to do if urchins start popping up in my tank!! I guess I can send them to Ron!! :mrgreen:

Samw
07-27-2003, 09:31 PM
I stopped using CS last month. Too many horror stories are coming out and not much success stories left. I haven't had too many bad episodes. I guess the only things of interest that happened during this time was the loss of 3 cleaner shrimps in less than a week which were then quickly consumed by my army of 4"-6" bristleworms. Still waiting for some salt tests though. However, by now, the salt formulas have probably all changed since the original tests were done in March or whenver that was.