PDA

View Full Version : November Swap Meet - Kelowna and Area

Starry
10-14-2008, 02:53 AM
First a thank you to Phillybean for showing up to the swap. We would like to try another swap/buy/sell and get together for November 22nd. Phillybean has graciously offered his home to us and we hope to see alot of you there. It would start at 2 p.m. Please R.S.V.P. here so we can get you the address. For those of you who are football fans, we kept Grey Cup Sunday free (go Stamps!) :biggrin:

Oscar
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I have circled the date on my calendar.

mseepman
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
I too would like to make it this time. And I agree...GO STAMPS!!

brizzo
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
We all better show up this time or else!! I think it will work out better not leading up to a holiday long weekend.

:D

Starry
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
How did those frags make out Naz?

FitoPharmer
10-14-2008, 07:18 PM
if i can make it out i will have a bunch of stuff to trade.

brizzo
10-15-2008, 06:00 AM
How did those frags make out Naz?

They are just excellent! The green polyps are nice under the halides. Funny thing, the two astrea snails you included kept knocking over the zoas I got from you, which also have opened up nicely this evening :mrgreen:

phillybean
10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
It would be nice to have a nice sized group come out. I don't have much stuff to offer in trade, so I'll buy stuff.

Free snacks to all Eskimo fans :mrgreen:

DiverDan
10-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Im in let please PM with details

FitoPharmer
10-28-2008, 08:09 AM
would anyone be interested in live mini brittle stars or mysid shrimp?

Leah
10-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey,
Sounds great, may I come too ? I don't have alot of frags either but I can buy, buy, buy.
Could you p.m. for the address..p.s must I like football. Zzzzzzz! HeHe
________
Honda CR110 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CR110)

Bugsy
10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Will these stars grow to the normal size of brittle stars??

What color are they??

:biggrin:

FitoPharmer
10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
my biggest mini brittle is 1'' across and a year or 2 old, i always take them out then they get over 1" so i cant really say how big they will get down the road. they are white and make awesome cleaners.

Oscar
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
my biggest mini brittle is 1'' across and a year or 2 old, i always take them out then they get over 1" so i cant really say how big they will get down the road. they are white and make awesome cleaners.

I am definitely looking for something to clean my substrate but I always thought in my tank I would starve a star pretty quickly. I have only 30lbs of sand. Is that enough for a star to feed on?

Starry
10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Course you are all welcome to come! Philly would you be so kind as to pm the location?
I have 1 tiny brittle star I have only seen once or twice, he was in a piece of rock, not in the sand.

Donno how you are gonna catch Mysis shrimp, but sure bring them along. (could always use some live Phyto as well hint hint) :wink:

FitoPharmer
10-28-2008, 07:07 PM
starry, you should see the number of mysids i have in one of my overflows, and plus i'm thinking of using a method of catching them that is so sneaky i might just patent it :mrgreen:

phillybean
10-30-2008, 08:28 PM
My address is 775 Francis Ave. I'm in the basement suite which has a private entrance on the right hand side of the house (opposite from car port). I'll have a sign or something showing where the door is.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/untitled-2.jpg

Telford
10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I'd definitely be interested however I won't have anything to trade/sell. Sounds like it's going to be a seller's market as their doesn't seem to be many people bringing stuff to sell....

Okguy
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd definitely be interested however I won't have anything to trade/sell. Sounds like it's going to be a seller's market as their doesn't seem to be many people bringing stuff to sell....

If I can make it I'll bring several things. Unfortunately I won't know if I can make it until closer to the day :redface:. Can\Should we post pictures of what we want to sell?

Starry
10-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Kevin,
Might be an idea. I'll have to snap some new pix as well.

I have a hammer frag, some green zoas, xiena, 2 kinds of green polyps and a few ricordia if I can frag and mount them before the end of the month. Also picked up some red macro algea lastnight if anyone would like some.

I'll post pix either later tonight or tomorrow.

tgoeujon
10-31-2008, 03:40 AM
looks like i can actually make this one. unfortunately i also would be looking to buy not sell. anyone gonna be bringing any sps frags?

Starry
11-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Hmmm, cant seem to find my camera anywhere...

Good new is I can add one more item to my list.

Red Banded snails.

brizzo
11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I got some nice frags to trade/sell now ;)

Bugsy
11-09-2008, 04:24 AM
I have a hammer frag, some green zoas, xiena, 2 kinds of green polyps and a few ricordia if I can frag and mount them before the end of the month. Also picked up some red macro algea lastnight if anyone would like some.

What color and kind (Florida or Yuma) are the ricordeas??

Bugsy
11-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Sorry about that the questionn is for Starry

Bugsy
11-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Does anyone have any updates on what they will be brining to the Nov Swap Meet??

Pictures would be great also.

Starry
11-11-2008, 09:05 AM
will update what i have next week when i get home from work. tues or wed.

Oscar
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Now that Hwy 97 is open again I should be able to make this swap. Does anyone have a sea hare they want to part with? AJs in Vernon has one but it is ~3" long. Not sure that I have enough algae to keep a hare that large.

Alternately if I pick up the sea hare this week and he has done his thing by the time the swap comes along is there anyone that I can pass him along to?

I should also have a frag of pulsing xenia and a couple of zoa frags to bring along.

phillybean
11-13-2008, 04:23 AM
Just as an update, I'll have the following to sell/trade.

5 - Purple Acro Frags (Most very tiny, 2 fair sized frags)
2 - Birdsnest Frags (Tiny, however 4 frags per plug)
1 - Green Encrusting Monti (on a rock about 4")
1 - Brown, branching encrusting Monti (on a rock about 6")
1 - Light Green Button Polyp (3 heads)
1 - Dark Green Button Polyp (10 heads)
1 - Unknown SPS Frag (4-5")
1 - Watermelon Mushroom Rock - (6+ mushrooms of various size)
1 - Moon Coral

Hagen hunting
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey im interested in coming to the meet to purchase a few things.
Dave.

phillybean
11-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Well looks like the frag swap will be a week to late.

I had some issues with my lighting and hydrometer...lost just about all of my SPS, basically over night.

Still have a few things but no Acro Frags from me :(

brizzo
11-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Doh!

I'm going to be bringing:

Red Montipora Capricornis (1/2" to 1" frags, mounted)

Brown Bird's Nest (May color up, each mounting has 2 pieces about 3/4")

and 2 more frags of this, which I don't know what it is, but all those fuzzy polyps are bright green under actinics :)

http://nazerine.reefbc.com/photos/110908/DSC00560.JPG

mseepman
11-18-2008, 11:42 PM

I had some issues with my lighting and hydrometer...lost just about all of my SPS, basically over night.

Still have a few things but no Acro Frags from me :(

Really sorry to hear this. Enlighten us as to what happened. I can't seem to put together a scenario where lighting and hydrometer work together to cause a crash.

phillybean
11-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Well...

I needed new bulbs as mine were quite old and weren't strong enough to support my SPS corals. It took me longer than I thought it would to replace the bulbs, so they weren't getting the light that they needed.

On top of that, I was using a Coralife Hyrdometer, which was giving me faulty readings. My SG was reading 1.026 but turned out to be 1.031.

I blame a combo of the two for my RTN issues. All my other levels are decent (Nitrate under 5ppm, Phos 0.25, Calcium 420, dKH 12)

mseepman
11-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Sad to hear it. Have you checked you mag levels. When I first started with SPS I got return on my first bunch of pieces and couldn't identify the culprit until I finally checked that and it was way too low. I've been using Tailored Aquatics Mag since then and don't have any complaints. Of course I have completely different problems now...lol.

phillybean
11-19-2008, 12:42 AM
I've actually never checked mag. I've never found a test kit for it locally here and keep forgetting whenever I order anything from the coast. Where do you get your test kits?

Starry
11-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Doh!

I'm going to be bringing:

Red Montipora Capricornis (1/2" to 1" frags, mounted)

Brown Bird's Nest (May color up, each mounting has 2 pieces about 3/4")

and 2 more frags of this, which I don't know what it is, but all those fuzzy polyps are bright green under actinics :)

http://nazerine.reefbc.com/photos/110908/DSC00560.JPG

Looks like some type of Porites. Nice looking piece.

Myka
11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I've actually never checked mag. I've never found a test kit for it locally here and keep forgetting whenever I order anything from the coast. Where do you get your test kits?

The meet is at your place right? I think I will be in town on the 22nd, and if so I will come. I will bring my test kit, and test your water for you if you'd like. :)

phillybean
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Sweet, sounds great Myka. Good to see your back in town :)

Myka
11-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks! I'm only back until the 30th, then back to the oil patch. :)

phillybean
11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Ah, that kinda sucks. I'm guessing you had to take all your tanks down :(

Myka
11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
No, I have a great tank-sitter!! Although my planted tank looks like a swamp right now. I guess I need to put pressurized CO2 on it...

phillybean
11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Change of time

I just found out that I'm going to have to work on Saturday, I will be off work at 2:30 and back home by 3PM.

Lets shoot for a 3PM start time.

Again the address is 775 Francis Ave, use the right side door. I'll have a sign up pointing to it.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/untitled-2.jpg

Also to make sure I have everyone...

Phillybean
Starry
Oscar
mseepman
nazerine
FitoPharmer
DiverDan
Leah
Amy
Telford
Okguy
tgoeujon
Hagen hunting
Myka

Total of 14 (!!!) people. Should be fun :D

phillybean
11-19-2008, 05:04 PM
No, I have a great tank-sitter!! Although my planted tank looks like a swamp right now. I guess I need to put pressurized CO2 on it...

Ah good to hear. Are the Bangaii's still breeding? Do you have any frags to bring?

When I had my planted tank, I just used a Coke Bottle, Sugar, Yeast, Airline tubing and a air stone and my plants grew like mad!

brizzo
11-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Should we bring snacks??

So whats the best way to transport prepare frags for a swap? Tupperware? One frag per bag??

phillybean
11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I'll provide the snackage. Don't expect anything too fancy :P

Tough to say frag wise, I think a bag per frag is the way to go. Rebagging/packaging on the fly would be a pita I think.

Myka
11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Ah good to hear. Are the Bangaii's still breeding? Do you have any frags to bring?

When I had my planted tank, I just used a Coke Bottle, Sugar, Yeast, Airline tubing and a air stone and my plants grew like mad!

Holy! I didn't expect so many people!! That's awesome! I hope everyone shows up.

I assume the Bangaii's are still breeding. but my tank sitter says both of them have been eating the whole time, so maybe they haven't had a batch since then. They had a batch about 6 weeks ago, so they're due any time now.

I have a single Candy Cane frag I can bring. I've been holding a frag for nazerine for a while too, so I'll bring that one as well. I don't have much right now. I purged before I left. :lol:

I have a similar DIY CO2 thingy set up right now, but it's a lot of work for my tank-sitter, and she's not very reliable at filling the bottle up often enough so the level of CO2 is fluctuating terribly in the tank, hence massive algae growth. I will either need to put pressurized CO2 on it to stabilize it, and take away some maintenance, or tear it down.

Bugsy
11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Anyone bringing soft corals?? Please list.

Starry
11-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Which Site are you working at Myka?

Amy, I have xiena: 3 frags and a colony if interested.

phillybean
11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not expecting the full 14 people to show up. Some people have quite a drive which might not make it possible.

That said, even if 10 people show up, it would be a great starting point for future frag swaps :)

Okguy
11-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm a little confused phillybean.

:(

Is the start time 3PM on the 22nd or the 29th?

Change of time

I just found out that I'm going to have to work on Saturday, I will be off work at 2:30 and back home by 3PM.

Lets shoot for a 3PM start time.

It may be a little too late in the day for me. I'll try to post pictures of my frags tonight so if anyone is interested in something, I can maybe send it along with another person from Vernon.

Cheers,

Kevin

Starry
11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
It's the 22nd Kevin.

He ment his sps croaked a week before the meet.

Oscar
11-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm not expecting the full 14 people to show up. Some people have quite a drive which might not make it possible.

That said, even if 10 people show up, it would be a great starting point for future frag swaps :)

Yeah, I commute from Summerland to Westbank, now that the road is open my employer is expecting to see me every day. So I will see if I can stomach another commute on a Saturday. (but boy the telecomuting excuse was great while it lasted).

phillybean
11-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry, still the 22nd at 3PM.

Also, it's no problem for anyone who wanted to attend but is unable too. There will be more frag swaps in the future :)

mseepman
11-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I have to bow out...my wife's Office Christmas party is that evening...crazy that business's are doing these that early. I was a ittle shy on frags anyways...but I'll have some for the next meeting.

Myka
11-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Dangit...it's official. I'm not in town on Saturday. I'll be back on Sunday though. Any chance of moving it to Sunday afternoon? Would that work better for people?

Oscar
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Dangit...it's official. I'm not in town on Saturday. I'll be back on Sunday though. Any chance of moving it to Sunday afternoon? Would that work better for people?

Apparently there is some sort of sports activity happening on Sunday. I think it might be on TV.

Okguy
11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Ha Ha, nice try Myka. Trying to convince men to give up their games.

I too have to bow out. My wife gave me the look when I asked for permission. She's usually pretty cool about it, but ever since I forced her to carry my unborn child, I have little chance of convincing her that the honey-do list can wait.

I guess I'll keep selling my frags that I have remaining here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45754

I have a real nice pink finger leather that needs a good home. Apparently if it gets too large I'll have some chemical warefare going on between it and my toadstool. I love it when I find things out like that after the fact....

Have fun!

Kevin

Myka
11-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Ha Ha, nice try Myka. Trying to convince men to give up their games.

I have a real nice pink finger leather that needs a good home. Apparently if it gets too large I'll have some chemical warefare going on between it and my toadstool. I love it when I find things out like that after the fact....

Have fun!

Kevin

:lol: Oh, is there football or something? I think it's that time of year isn't it?

I was just checking out that pink finger leather of yours. I've been toying around with the idea of adding a leather to my tank now that I don't have SPS anymore. How big is it?

Okguy
11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I was just checking out that pink finger leather of yours. I've been toying around with the idea of adding a leather to my tank now that I don't have SPS anymore. How big is it?

PM'd

Bugsy
11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Kevin,

How big is the rock that the yellow polyps are on??

Did you get my pm about the blue mushroom??

Bugsy
11-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I am unable to attend this weekend. Hopefully will see you all the next one.

Have a great time.....:mrgreen: