PDA

View Full Version : high kh

goldie
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I am new to sw, and I just found out that I should test for calcium and kh. The calcium is 400(which I believe is ok) but the KH was 15, which I think is high. How do I lower this?...or is it not a problem. I don't add anything to the tank and it has been running for 3 months

untamed
10-13-2008, 10:08 PM
#1...double check that result. It is unusual.

If you are not adding anything to the tank, it begs the question..."how did it get that high?".

Mix up a fresh batch of SW and measure it. See if that is where the problem lies. If the new mix has more appropriate levels, then do a partial water change to get things back somewhat in line. I don't know of any brand of salt that mixes to readings like that, so suspect your test kit/procedure as well.

All in all...high DKH isn't a serious problem. It should correct itself over time with regular water changes, but you do need to figure out why it got high in the first place.

xtreme
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
What brand of test kit are you using?

goldie
10-13-2008, 11:53 PM
It is part of my master reef test kit made by API

goldie
10-14-2008, 12:30 AM
ok, so I just checked a fresh batch of saltwater and the result was 21. Could this be because I am on well water? Is this going to be a problem, because I tried the bottled water method and it was so irritating with how often I would have to go to the store to get more water. And as far as I heard you can't get an RO/DI unit when you are on a well?

JDigital
10-14-2008, 01:28 AM
You can get a RO/DI unit with a well, but you need to add in a booster pump to raise the pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_1KfDx2W3Y

This guy has a well... he describes his ro/di unit in detail.

midgetwaiter
10-14-2008, 06:32 AM
ok, so I just checked a fresh batch of saltwater and the result was 21. Could this be because I am on well water? Is this going to be a problem, because I tried the bottled water method and it was so irritating with how often I would have to go to the store to get more water. And as far as I heard you can't get an RO/DI unit when you are on a well?

How old is your kit? Double check with a new one before you spend a bunch of $.

Doug
10-14-2008, 01:21 PM

If your test kit is reading correct, then the well water may be the culprit. My previous lace had the same problem and I have a friend in the country also with high alk.

An RO unit alone wont remove the high alk. so as mentioned before and RO/DI is the answer, with the DI resin doing the job on the high well alkalinity.

Robw
10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
You could also check the kh of the well water and determine if that really is the source.