PDA

View Full Version : Placement of power heads??

dsaundry
10-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I am setting up my Wavemaster Pro in my 90g. I have [4] MJ1200 to use with it. All the MJ's have the modification kit on them but the instructions are a little vague about placement. It says to place them on various depths but does not say whether they should all be on one side or opposite sides of the tank. I have tried them with the powerheads on the same side and it does produce a lot of movement, perhaps too much. I may try them with the smaller impeller kit and see how that goes. So my question is where they should be in the aquarium..same side or opposites?? Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks...Darryl:biggrin:

mark
10-13-2008, 09:10 PM
old tank with the MJ had them in both back corners at different heights pointing towards the front glass about center. Even without a wave maker was still getting turbulent random flow.

AJ_77
10-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Maybe this article will help you decide:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

You could use the 4 to generate alternating directional flow, 2 at a time. What intervals does the Wavemaster support? I'd think that with 2x1600 gph (or whatever the modded 1200's are rated) would work just fine, with two in oppostion for the alternate pattern.

dsaundry
10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks all. I am going to try them in a couple of positions and see how it goes. These powerheads have a lot more flow and I will be watching how much sand gets kicked up. Will be watching corals and anemones too...:biggrin: