PDA

View Full Version : Tank/Sump W/O Holes

MMAX
10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Anybody ever build a tank/sump set-up without drilling holes? How would one go about doing this?

mark
10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
External overflow (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=of-cs100), should do a search though as are some negatives (such as loose siphon and a flood). For the sump, use a submersible pump.

Abbyreefer
10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
If you can get the tank drilled I would go that route. My current tank isnt drilled because it has tempered glass and am now looking to change tanks. its very nerve racking to go away fora few days and be wonderingthe whole time did the power go out ? if so i'm gonna loose siphon and have my tank crash.

MMAX
10-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Is that CPR c siphon overflow a good way to go? It says the deluxe model will restart the siphon after a power outage.

mark
10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
not recommending the CPR or any other make of external OF, link was just for an example if wanted to go un-drilled.

I think drilling is the best way to go.

pastout
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
i have a cpr overflow i hate it. without the pump running it breaks siphon and the tank will flood and the air pump it comes with has done that 3 times for me.

Starry
10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Here is my undrilled sump. My tank has been running for 11 months with a CPR overflow, and have never had any problems, even with power outages. I use a maxijet powerhead hooked up to the overflow via the venturi air hose. Its attached to the air release nipple on the top of the overflow. I also have a check valve on my return line from the sump to prevent back siphon into the sump in case of power outate. Also return line has a few holes drilled 3/4" below water level in the tank as a back up in case the check valve fails.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMG_0340_resize.JPG

MMAX
10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't think drilling is an option for me, both my tank and sump are tempered glass.

Abbyreefer
10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
MMAX - do you have the tank set up yet or is the tank empty ? If your tank is empty - if it were me I would sel the tank and buy one that can be drilled. The CRP is ok and will get you by but trust me from personal experience you will never feel 100% with a external overflow on the tank. Its cheaper to get a tank you can drill now then to have to change it later on like I am.
If the tank is stocked then the CPR's are ok.

mark
10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't think drilling is an option for me, both my tank and sump are tempered glass.

depends on tank but sometimes just the bottom tempered