PDA

View Full Version : Shipping

pluff
04-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here ordered any live stock from the USA?My question is,that i was wondering if there is any hassel with customs,or extra hidden charges?Or are they aloud to be shipped to Canada?I was thinking about ordering 100 snails from NC to be shipped to New Brunswick.

Thanks

Pluff :silly:

Bob I
04-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Does this have anything to do with the Newbie forum?

Sorry I thought that was where I was.

Quinn
04-22-2003, 10:57 PM
there was a post on RC about this as well - i thought we weren't allowed to import livestock without CITES permits, which are expensive and time consuming to obtain.

Bob I
04-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here ordered any live stock from the USA?My question is,that i was wondering if there is any hassel with customs,or extra hidden charges?Or are they aloud to be shipped to Canada?I was thinking about ordering 100 snails from NC to be shipped to New Brunswick.

Thanks

Pluff :silly:

I don't think live shipment to canada are aloud (or even allowed). Why not save the trouble, and order from J&L or SWC. :arrow: :question:

pocilipora
04-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Just wanting to know BOB who assigned you the spelling police! :lol: because Im sure no one cares...

eposer
04-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Bob,

It seems that you yourself are becoming one of those "Weenies", as you call them, that you despise so very much on this board.

:lol:

Bob I
04-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob,

It seems that you yourself are becoming one of those "Weenies", as you call them, that you despise so very much on this board.

:lol:

It seems strange that when other people get picky, it is OK, but if I dare to do it, I am the bad guy. Get a life. both of you. :mad:

StirCrazy
04-22-2003, 11:47 PM
[I am the bad guy.

First true thing I have heard you say yet :eek:

:mrgreen: :razz: :rofl:

Steve

zulu_principle
04-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Firstly, live shipments to Canada are allowed.

Im not positive, but I believe that snails need a cites permit. It is expensive with the fee that is charged by US Fish and Wildlife and most etailer or retailers in the states wont ship to Canada.

Bob is correct in saying that ordering from J&L or SWC might be a better idea.

Wendell

TRS
04-23-2003, 04:22 AM
Wendell, you are correct in saying that live goods shipments are allowed into Canada from the US, pending that they are not CITES Listed. If you guys are refering to the Nassarius spp. and Turbo spp. snails as advertised on-line (i.e. EBAY and Reef Central), these species are not CITES Listed. I wanted the same clarification around importing live goods from the US, so I started inquiring about 2 weeks ago. First of all, I determined that these and a few others (such as most Hermit crabs) are not CITES listed. Just today, I found out from US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) will allow the transportation and Customs clearance of these species providing that the US Exporter obtains an Export Permit from US FWS. Apparently, one copy is to accompany the shipment and the other is to be mailed to the Canadian receiver for confirmation. I am not sure of the cost of this permit, but I have heard others say that it costs $55 US, but is a one time permit per shipment; therefore, one should place a big order to take full advantage of its cost. This must have something to do with FREE Trade. :rolleyes: Over and above all of this, I have been asked to contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), Import Service Centre for further Canadian regulations. BTW, about one week ago, I sent them an email regarding this and still await a response from our fellow Canadian regulators. Talk about hassle and NO guaranteed arrival by most US vendors. I side with Bob & Wendell whom believe that live good imports are best left to our professional Canadian retailers such as J&L and SWC.

Have any others out there had Live Good shipping experiences from US vendors that could be shared here?

Is there anyone that could shed some light on this subject?

pluff
04-23-2003, 04:37 AM
Hey guys no big deal.I was only asking a question,about the shipping.And yes i have ordered LIVE STOCK from J@L before,with great service.

For you BOB,you remind me of a KNOB :lol: It was only a question i was a
asking.If you got nothing good to say BOB the KNOB :mrgreen: then don't bother answering.

Doug
04-23-2003, 01:22 PM
:rolleyes: Cant you guys just stick to reef keeping. :rolleyes:

If you wish to call each other names, :sad: , at least use e-mail or pm.

Seriak
04-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Well if they just used PM or email, all of us reading the posts wouldn't have as much fun. It adds a little something to every post.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
04-23-2003, 01:59 PM
The thing I like about these boards (up until now) is that everyone seems to respect each other and get along.

Quinn
04-23-2003, 04:02 PM
regarding snails on ebay...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148441&highlight=ebay+snails

Van down by the river
04-25-2003, 09:22 AM
chew them up and spit them out?.......
I wish........

robbyville
04-25-2003, 09:42 PM
No idea how this reflects but Tampa Bay Saltwater ships to Canada. I have not spoken to them in regards to permits, etc. as in if they arrange them for you or not, but apparently they do it.

for myself the main issue reason was Live Sand. I have had a problem getting trule live sand here with worms, etc.

Presently I had bought the pre-packaged bacteria only stuff and who knows how long it's been sitting around!

Regardless, if any of you have some great live sand you'd like to sell let me know!

Good luck you spell checkers you!

Rob