PDA

View Full Version : skimmer help

karazy
10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
ok, so i coudln't help but do a freshwater test of my new aqua-c urchin in my bathtub. i filled the tub upto where the water level of the sump is going to be,and plugged it in and it was really quite loud. is there a reasonwhy it would be so loud,because i've heard they are supposed to be quiet,and also if anyone else has one or maybe even a remora, how loud is yours?

oh, and the main soud is coming from the spray injector thing im pretty sure.

fkshiu
10-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Urchins/Remoras are loud IME. Easiest thing to do is to take a damp paper towel and fold it a few times. Then put it right on top of the injector. This should muffle the sound by quite a bit.

karazy
10-12-2008, 04:07 AM
thanks for the advice. i deffinatly need muffling because the tank is in my room

X-Treme
10-12-2008, 04:16 AM
Do this:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=25389

Makes a HUGE difference. Mines been like this for over a year now, and I barely even notice it running.

karazy
10-12-2008, 04:39 AM
ok, so how exactly do you make that thing?
from what i can tell is you cut out a square that's the right size and then you take airline tubing and cut it in a straight line all the way down, and then put the plastic in the cut all the way around, right?

X-Treme
10-12-2008, 04:40 AM
When I did mine, I just cut 4 pieces of airline and glued each one. But, yes, just slit it.

karazy
10-12-2008, 04:41 AM
okay, so you basicaly just make it so that half of the airline tubing is on one side, and the other half on the other side?

and then when you are done just push it in to the part with the spray injector as far as you can?

X-Treme
10-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Yup. You just make 1 slit in the airline and then slide the plastic into/onto it and glue in place (optional). Then it sits down over the spray injector. You make it a bit bigger so it kinda "curves" over the injector. Picture a bracket "(" sideways. You can see this in the pictures on that website.

AndyL
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Test in saltwater before you make any mods... Skimmers make a much different noise and operate quite differently in freshwater than they do in salt

karazy
10-12-2008, 05:30 PM
andy, its not much of a mod, its more of an add on. it doesnt get glued in or anything.

but thanks for the tip :)

Chaloupa
10-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I have 2 Remora Pro's....just did this mod on one we hear from the living room and WOW does it ever work! We still have excellent skimmate, but is very very quiet! Big thumbs up!