PDA

View Full Version : sexy shrimp

pastout
10-11-2008, 04:54 PM
well my girlfriend had a sexy shrimp in her tank for a couple weeks now doing excelant by its self, so i decided to get here another one day before yesterday on my way home from work and she called me this mornign to tell me both her sexy shrimp had died overnight. is there any reason for this? can they not be kept in two's? the rest of the tank is doing awesome no problems at all

karazy
10-11-2008, 05:20 PM
well im not sure if this is why they died but they are supposed to be kept in odd numbers

JDigital
10-11-2008, 06:00 PM
^^

Fishytime has 2 in his 2.5 pico... Last time i checked they were doing fine. Probably not the COD...

TheRealBigAL
10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I have 10 in my 50 gallon. All doing well.

noirsphynx
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I have 4 with no problems.

Keri
10-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I have had 2 together for a year now, no problems, they are best buds. I would check to see if your water chemistry has changed at all, they are more sensitive than fish. Sorry to hear that :(

karazy
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
lol, i got showed up :P

well i guess i was wrong, thats just what i've read before. thank you all for correcting me

fiorano
10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
my girlfirend has 4 in her 14 gal biocube

mike31154
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Are you certain they're actually deceased and not molts? I understand they've only been in the tank a short while and I don't think it's unusual for inverts to molt soon after being moved to a new tank. If they did molt, they may hide out for a few days until the new shell hardens.

Whatigot
10-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Are you certain they're actually deceased and not molts? I understand they've only been in the tank a short while and I don't think it's unusual for inverts to molt soon after being moved to a new tank. If they did molt, they may hide out for a few days until the new shell hardens.

well worth checking out.
we've all experieced this before, where someone mistakes a molt for a carcass.

pastout
10-14-2008, 10:24 PM
ya thats what i thought to. i guess we will see its my gfs tank i built for her. i havnt seen it since this happend il take a look tonight when i go over there. ive olny tested the water and it came back looking good

OCDP
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but, if there are any fish in there that can fit them in their mouth, it may have became a meal for one of them. I had a yellow watchman goby, and I added about 5 or 6 sexy's with the flow off (so they could settle in nicely) , and how foolish that was... flow off + yellow watchman waiting to be fed + adding in 5 sexy shrimp that can fit in his mouth = Buffet!

And as been mentioned, they are sensitive to water chemistry and salinity changes, so if not properly acclimated it could have been that as well... or again, it could be a simple molt and it's hiding on you.

Making me want to go get some sexy's for my tank... cute, interesting little buggers they are!