PDA

View Full Version : Field Trial of Ultralith System as of May 24/10

fencer
10-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Firstly this was planned a month ago to try this product and is not a response to the recent Zeo/Ultra discussion on another thread. As some of you know I was Alcohol dosing my tank. Along with supplements from Salifert my SPS's responded very well. After some thinking I felt a more rounded and complete approach was needed. I did choose Ultra over Zeo simply because it was a newer product and "looked" simplier to use. Futhermore, I read most of the posts about Zeo and really did not come out with a clear idea that it worked. So I put some money up and bought the Ultra Starter package and an Ultra reactor. I have a fishless 100 gallon system(main and frag tank)( I am now rethinking this ) and my tank parameters are stable. I am going to follow Fauna Marin's guide to the letter. I will try to keep a log and pictures of any progress. This trial should last about 2 months but I have a feeling it will be more like a year. Please feel to ask or comment...you might have some good ideas too.

fencer
10-11-2008, 04:10 AM
October 9/10
I started up the Ultra progam today. I followed the startup instructions. Since I already had a low nutrient tank I cut back Ultra Min and Ultra Bak to 1 ml dose. I did not stop my skimmer
- after 1 hour of adding I noticed polyp extension on my Candy Canes and the other LPS's
- 24 hrs of running and my tank(s) water looks crystal clear...clearer than with ozone running

michika
10-11-2008, 04:56 AM
Awesome idea. I am really looking forwards to this.

rattler
10-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Great idea and very timely also! Will be following along.

Rattler

Trigger Man
10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Can't wait to see what the final results show, i've been thinking about starting up one of the systems in the next little while, so this should help with my final choice.

fencer
10-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Here are pictures of the Tank as of Oct 13:
http://s496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/?albumview=slideshow
Notes:
1)My tank redox level has dropped from 380mV to 335mv
2)Growth on Glass of main tank has slowed down
3) Spot fed LPS with mysis and coral frenzy today
4) I continue with the 1 ml dosage of Bak and Ultramin
-ultramin and bak are injected into the main tank and the Bacterial soln is fed into the sump
5) Have been agitating reactor once a day for 1 minute
6) There is an echino coral that goes bright green when Ultramin is injected in the tank

fencer
10-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Oct 17
I have not seen any ill effects of the Ultra additives on the corals. I am still spot feeding my LPS corals. I have notice that there is considerably more polyp extension on the SPS's. The colors on there corals are just starting to show(more). Most corals are exhibiting various rates of growth. As for the control coral it is showing polyp extension only. I have not seen an increase rate of algae on glass or anywhere in the tank. I have decided to bacterial solution directly to the tank.

fencer
10-20-2008, 04:19 AM
Oct 19th
Added another control coral today. (The other catspaw was exposed to alcohol dosing) A light pink Catspaws. I am expecting the colors on this one to increase. As it was claimed(I am not sure where I read it) that color intensity is most notable in this type of coral when using Ultralith. Photoadded to archive

fencer
10-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Oct 22
Added another 25% of Ultra Rock to the reactor. Notice a fillm of bacteria(?) on side of reactor. No changes in dosage or effects to the tank. Will discontinue UltraBio for 1 week.

fencer
10-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Oct 30
Resumed UltraBio today. Did a 10% water change(Thank the power company for that one). 3 hours no sump circulation, monti suffered a bit and I noticed a nice film on the front of the tank. All corals still showing good polyp extension. One of the pink Catspaw is turning brown. One coral is slowly RTNing on me. Haven't decide to frag it yet...hoping it will stop.

christyf5
10-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Just wondering why you discontinued the ultrabio? I thought the film was from the ultrabak/ultraminS. The film results from an excess of food that the bacteria aren't using. In order to get rid of the film you need to continue to add bacteria (so they can eat it) and reduce their food.

Just a thought. My feeling on the various issues I had after replacing the stones was that I wasn't adding enough ultrabio to seed them and the tank had a bit of a "crash" that way and I lost a few things.

fencer
10-31-2008, 04:03 PM
The manual required I discontiuned bio for one week...not sure why...keep you posted

fencer
11-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Nov 3

I have altered the water path so as to more efficently disperse the "bacterial snow" from the reactor into the tank. Certainly the tank is much more cloudy after I flushed the Ultralith reactor. This also allow direct dosing of the Ultralith in the reactor. Today i have lost one of the more interesting SPS's in the tank...it was the dark Navy blue one to STN(I think)....I do not believe this was due to the Ultralith program. Both pink pocillopora's(sp) are turning more brown.

fencer
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Nov 6
I have added another 25% of Ultralith to the reactor. I have noticed that the SPS are growing. But I am not convinced that they are growing any faster than before Ultralith program. A whitish film is appearing on the tank glass. The frequency of cleaning the glass is a little more than I usually do. I will continue to monitor this, but I will still be dosing Ultra products at the 1ml /day rate for another week. I will then decide if I need to cut back on dosage of Ultra product. My yellow polyps are being decimated, I have no explanation why this is happening. I noticed in the forum that some zeo users are not shutting off their skimmers. I am not shutting the skimmer down either while applying the Ultra porducts. I feel that (the way I have setup the return system) there is enough residence time for dispersion of the Ultra additives.

fencer
11-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Nov 19
I have added the final amount of Ultralith to the reactor (1 l) I will now make a zeolite change of 50% every month. When I blow the reactor every night I do notice increased feeding activity of the corals. My main indicator is a small acan colony. I made a carbon change this month as well. One of the control corals is starting to show blue/green colouring. Both contol pocillopora's starting to "brown" out on me. The polyp extension on the green birdsnest is very good. I added 2 more control corals last Sat, mainly because they were going to expire at some point in the stores tanks. I also started adding trace minerals to the system again. I read in the Ultra manual the zeolite's tend to take out some of these elements. Growth in the tank is good. I still am thinking about adding some fish to the system. I wil get some tank prams when I get some free time.

Aqua-Digital
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi

The browing will be due to the requirement of AMIN and Organic.

Also if you are getting a white film the Bak level is too high and needs reducing. You can halve it at this point

The Bio is added initially for the first 4-6weeks then stopped at this point 25% media is changed and then re dose the Bio. Once you have the colony established the Bio can be stopped and only added when you replace media

Your issues are down to too much Bacteria activity and not enough food source as the corals are now competing with the Bacteria for food.

So next step as above lower the Bak dosing, raise the MinS and add Amin and Organic

One other important point, without fish the corals are not getting important elements and you will not get good results, it is vey important to have fish in a system that uses ultra lith

WHY?

You are stripping out ALL the nutrients from the system and at present only replacing it with building block amino acid, so as said above the corals will starve.

The thing with ultra Lith is that it is a potent system using only natural enhancement and as such can easily throw the results by over dosing and stripping out all the tank requires. So it is impotant to get the chemistry right

You are on the right track and the positive results you are seeing will increase with correct dosing and the negative will deminish.

Basically to sumerise - the system is suffering from Bio overload which is taking essential food from the corals - its a balancing act, but once found your system will explode with colour and growth

Fauna Marin
12-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Fencer

I see the Post now for the first time
let me read it complete and then i can tell you how to dose
meanwhile it will be helpful if you can post your actual water parameters
greets claude

fencer
12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I will be adding fish to the system shortly. My MinS dose is currently 1.0 ml. Should I increase another 50%?.

Aqua-Digital
12-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Claude will give you direct advise from here on.

You are so close to getting it right now :)

fencer
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Okay...looking for to the advice. Parameters will follow shortly.

atcguy
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I have been running now for 1 1/2 years.. I have a 110 gallon total system.. 8 drops bio every 3 days!! always.. I dose AMIN (2 ml) bak (1ml) and smin (1ml) a day.. every day..

I use to dose organics but have since gone the way of trace 1-4 .. I dose 15 ml of each every 3 days// Huge change!!!!! I wish I did this earlier ..Blues, purples and pinks have increase dramatically since using trace 1-4 .. it only took 1 week to start seeing the colors come out .. and because I did this 1 year into my system I know its beacause of the trace.. Also ULTRA LIFE is doesed every 3 days ( 1 tsp) good feeding response when this is added.. Later

Fauna Marin
12-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Fencer

Add the first fast reading it seems all things going to fast.
Our Products are very strong so more a problem of overdosing then most other stuff which is on the market

I need some more technical information about tank size and
technical you use and your water parameter
Then i will give you your Dosing recon.
If you have just now the full Zeo and the corals get brown and you lost one
as sample it shows me that the changes in the system are quite heavy and fast
Such a change need months till all parameter are correct and all corals
turns in this kind you want.
The reason is following

Ultralith take the ammonia out of the water and corals which
lives from Ammonia must change their metabolsim to the food which we get them. This can take some time.

Send me your details and i will read again to understand all
what you write
greets claude

fencer
12-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Tank Description:
72 gallon tank mainly sps / 2 x175MH and 2 x40 03 Actininc
33 gallon tank mainly lps / 1 x250MH
both lights run under 12hour cycles
bioball sump + 40 gallon sump feeding both tanks
Skimmer - Beckett DIY (looks like a PM2)/ with 20% recycle into sump
Carbon in phosban reactor changed 1 per month
Calcium reactor, mineral trace supplements are added (salifert) at 5 ml/week
Live rock accounts for 15% of tank volume
SPS are at the top 50% of the tank
Both tanks have sand bottoms
10% water change per month
Parameters
Ca 420 ppm
dkH 8
Nitrate and Phosphate...not detectable
Salinity about 30 ppt
Mg,Iodine and K tests to follow
pictures will follow

Fauna Marin
12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Fencer

Thanks for your information

As first donīt dose other Trace elements together with our system we just
have enough elements in our system.
Only dose a small amount of Organic when you receive it and don’t dose any
Amin for now
reduce the Ultralith to half and also BAK, you have too much bacteria
content too soon.
Increase Min S 50 % more.

Before you make the new dosing please send me your water parameters this is
important to work out the correct dosing of your system.

I write you a new short manual cause i see that most users uses AMIN and
ORGANIC in full Dosing at the beginning and also use other manufacturer
elements that compete with our system. This can produce too much Organic
compounds and to much Trace Elements which make corals brown and reduce grow

Start with the Basic and then if corals become bright starting everytime
with 10 - 20 % of the recon, Dosage and increase very slow the dosing till
you find your right level

Please send me all details then i give you the right dose

Claude

fencer
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
So this is correct?

1) discontinue the dosing of trace elements
2) Never used Organic or Amin because I was not sent the product
3) Remove 50% of UltraLith from the reactor( 1 liter to 0.5 liters)
4) Reduce Bak to 50%(0.5ml)
5) Increase MinS by 50% (1.5ml)
6) Keep UltraBio at same dose? 5 drops

Fauna Marin
12-02-2008, 09:16 PM
HI Fencer

Please send me the complete water parameter
so that i can better give support for you

So this is correct?

1) discontinue the dosing of trace elements

+++ At the moment yes

2) Never used Organic or Amin because I was not sent the product

+++ No only at the beginning it will be to much and later use Powertrace
but this i will tell you when the time is right.

3) Remove 50% of UltraLith from the reactor( 1 liter to 0.5 liters)

++++ Did i understand it correct that the volume of both tanks is together ?
also 72 + 34 gallons ist this the real water volume or the tank volume ?

4) Reduce Bak to 50%(0.5ml)

+++++yes

5) Increase MinS by 50% (1.5ml)

+++++ yes also but let us first clear all tank details

6) Keep UltraBio at same dose? 5 drops

+++++++ Yes same as Min S

Claude

fencer
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
total volume
= (72+33)*0.85 + 40 = 129.5 gal or Aprox 500 litres true volume

New MinS dose 1.5 ml
New Ultra Bio dose 8 drops
New Bak dose 0.5 ml

Which readings are you interested in?
Will give you new water readings on Friday after the above is changed

Fauna Marin
12-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Fencer

So we will go step by step
if it will be possible please send me also a picure
of that tanks.

I need

No3 ; Po4 ; Salinity ; dKh , Ca , Mg, Pottasium Ph and maybe also a
heat Po4 Test.
Please wirte me also which test you use.

Your next dosings

1. Min S 3 ml/ daily
2. Bak 0,5 ml/ daily
3. Bio 4 drops every 3 days

4. Ultralith only 500 gramm no change at the moment
5. Carbon 125 gramm ( Ulta Carb )
6. Water change weekly 10 % with good salt

Did you use a calcium reacor or
balling ?
greets

Please keep me updated how your corals react
i need this to supportyou correctly

fencer
12-04-2008, 04:32 AM
Adjusting to new changes:

1. Min S 3 ml/ daily
2. Bak 0,5 ml/ daily
4. Ultralith only 500 gramm no change at the moment
5. Carbon 125 gramm ( Ulta Carb ).....This has already been changed last week
6. Water change weekly 10 % with good salt...will change on Sunday
7. Water Parameters coming Friday
8. Will be adding fish to the LPS tank on Dec 4th
9. I use a Ca Reactor...not likely to switch to balling
10. New pictures ...all new ones Dated DEC 3( Sorry not a very good photographer)
http://s496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/?albumview=slideshow

fencer
12-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Dec 7th
Did a 10% water change today. 3 fish (never thought I would have fish in my tanks)were added to the LPS tank...a few more coming later. I thought I would check the water parameters after the water change...so they will be done Monday. The change in MinS dose has resulted in more polyp extension in all the corals. I have noticed every coral exhibiting increased growth rates..even from Dec 3rd.....

fencer
12-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Dec 8th
Water Parameters

All tests done with reagents from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals...will be switching back to Salifert when new supplies come in.
Potassium Tests....korallen-zucht.de
Ca...380mg/l
Mg...1300
Potassium....330 mg/l
pH...will follow
P04 heat test....will follow
dKH.....8
Phosphate...less than 0.1 mg/l
Nitrates....less than 0.1 mg/l
Salinity 30 ppt (1.022 SG)

Aqua-Digital
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
This is great to see :)

Looking at the photos the colours are really starting to come out now, once the base aminos and bacterias have stablised and you start adding the Amin and the power traces then you will see a huge difference in colour.

With the power traces you can pretty much turn the colour up and down like a contrast button ;)

Fauna Marin
12-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi Fencer

Thanks for your water parameters
I ám back from our show so i will be daily here to support you

If you get the powertrace elements so dose
on a following way

PT 1 50 %
Pt 2 100 %
Pt 3 100 %
Pt 4 50 %

of the recon dosage

Try to make a weekly waterchange of 10 % of the water volume and
take a salt which have more pottasium in

Greets claude

fencer
12-10-2008, 02:53 AM
I have chosen Coralife Salt based on the salt mineral profile in the link below

http://reefsaltanalysis.googlepages.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287118
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246450
In addition these products are readliy avalible in my area.

Claude what salt do you recommend?

Anybody else want to give their choice as well?

Powertrace chemicals are coming shortly.....
Will continue to do 10% water changes/week( you realize this adds up to a 40% tank volume change per month this is very aggressive )

fencer
12-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Dec 11th

Hi Claude

I just recieved a supply of Ultra Amin and I suspect the powertrace elements will arrive on Friday. To review Dosages I am currently using:

1. Min S 3 ml/ daily
2. Bak 0,5 ml/ daily
4. 500ml of zeolite in reactor
5. Ultra Amin dosage.... 5ml/day based on 500l volume?
6. Powertrace This is based on 10ml/day at volume of 500l
PT 1 50 % ......5 ml
Pt 2 100 %......10 ml
Pt 3 100 %......10 ml
Pt 4 50 %........5 ml

7. 10% water change...will be done on Friday

8. All test kits are salifert
9. Coral life Salt will be switched over on the next week gradually

Any changes I should make?

fishytime
12-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Claude what salt do you recommend?

Anybody else want to give their choice as well?

I vote KZRB.

Trigger Man
12-12-2008, 03:01 AM
For salt I've been liking dd h2ocean salt, it measures well when I test it. You can also use rbs but may have to add a little calcium.

fencer
12-12-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys. I don't think I should be using zeovit salts because I have to add Ca and the fact that it is an Ultralith test. H20 sounds interesting. I will look into these two salts. Any specs on the pails. Have a look at that salt review.

Trigger Man
12-12-2008, 05:14 AM
My specs came pretty close to what they list on the pail for the H2ocean:
DkH- they list 8.7-9.8, I've been getting around 9
Cal- they list 430-460, I've been getting 440ish
Mag- they list 1300-1380, I've been around 1370
Pot- they list 380-420, I've been at 410

I keep my salinity at 1.025 and tank at 79-79.5 F,
hope this helps

fencer
12-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks Trigger Man ...totally helps...this is salt I will try if I can find it in Edmonton

fencer
12-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Dec 12

10% water change was done
Added 5 ml of Ultra Amin today

fencer
12-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Dec 14

another good salt article....still looking for good salt

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php

fencer
12-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Dec 17
Today I started dosing the PowerTrace additives. There was a shipping error and I will have to start PT #3 a little later. This is the current dosing schedule:

1. Min S 3 ml/ daily
2. Bak 0,5 ml/ daily
4. 500ml of zeolite in reactor
5. Ultra Amin dosage.... 5ml/day based on 500l volume?
6. Powertrace This is based on 10ml/day at volume of 500l
PT 1 50 % ......5 ml
Pt 2 100 %......10 ml
Pt 3 100 %......10 ml
Pt 4 50 %........5 ml

Fauna Marin
12-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi

This is correct but please wait with AMIN yet

Greets claude

fencer
12-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Claude
I did start adding Amin on the 17th of Dec. I will discontinue Amin for now.

Fauna Marin
12-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi

Yes ok
Greets

fencer
12-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Dec 26
Water Prams
10% water change...new salt will be added on next change
Carbon in Phosban changed
Ca...420mg/l
Mg...1400
Potassium....340 mg/l
pH...8.12
dKH.....7
Phosphate...less than 0.1 mg/l
Nitrates....less than 0.1 mg/l
Salinity 35 ppt (1.0259 SG)... a little high will lower
Redox...avg 330 mV( would like it higher)
Fish added to main tank (yellow tang, Mandrin Goby, 6 line wrasse, fire fish, PJ Cardinal)
Pictures to follow shortly

michika
12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
What is the new salt you are moving to? What where you using before?

fencer
01-03-2009, 04:48 AM
I am using Coralife and I was using Aquacraft ME. I really want to use DDH2O by deltec. This all comes down to potassium content

fencer
01-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Jan 02

I will be posting more pictures later but what you are seeing is before I started ultralith up to today. What you don't really see in them is the signifigant reduction of symbiotic algae in the coral. And an increase in polyp formation. This is happening to all the corals but at different rates. I also switched to 14k from 10K. Decide for yourself.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/comp1a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/comp2a.jpg

Fauna Marin
01-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi Fencer

Please donīt use H2O this salt is relabeled Red Sea Coral Pro and we have some really problems with the coral coloration.
Take TUNZE Salt or SeaChem or Instant Ocean
The other salt i did not have expierience with so it is difficult to say

greets claude

Aqua-Digital
01-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought I would post this.

We have had a reviewer on another forum for a year now and here is a video of his year end result

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa291/jmuzzey/?action=view&current=P1020020.flv

Here is what he said

1 year anniversary of using ultralith video
Hello everyone, I started using ultralith on January 1 2008, so I just hit the one year mark and decided to shoot a video of my tank. I am terrible at taking nice pictures, so I thought this would be a little better way to show the corals and colors that I am getting. It has been an experience, but once everything is dialed in, you learn what to dose and how much to dose for your tank and it's needs. I hope you enjoy watching, please let me know what you think of it, I appreciate feedback.

fencer
01-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks Claude....I will be introducing the Coralife salt slowly in to the system

fencer
01-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Here are 2 more comparison pictures
The top photo
This photo shows 3 corals in a row. All of them have considerable reduction in symbiotic algae. The first coral is showing much of it base layer(kinda dark) and the blue coloration is much stronger. The second coral show the reduction in symbiotic algae with better pylop extensions. The last coral (not in focus) was a control coral bought locally. The owner and I agreed that it was totally brown with miminal coloration under MH light. The effect of Ultralith is very dramatic. The second coral picture show the amount of symbiotic algae reduction on the base layer. More pastel colours are starting to show as well a growth increase.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5114a1.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5110a1.jpg

michika
01-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Fencer

Please donīt use H2O this salt is relabeled Red Sea Coral Pro and we have some really problems with the coral coloration.

greets claude

So H20 salt is the same product as Red Sea Coral Pro?! :surprise:

Aqua-Digital
01-05-2009, 02:17 AM
WOW impressive photos!!!!!!

Considering the small amount of time you have been running Fauna Ultra Lith this is outstanding.

Cant wait to see the results after 3 months. :razz:

Red Coral Aquariums
01-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi Fencer

greets claude

Do you have proof of this???

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47990

Claude please note the differences between the RSCP and the H2Ocean as listed in this 1 independent study and I have more studies if you have time. I have been following this thread closely and am looking for a proven coral system, not one based on conjecture.

Fencer It looks like you are doing a great job and the Fauna Marin system is looking promising. Remember that information without proof is only gossip, (from me included) so keep up the studying and keep up the good work.

Kevin

Fauna Marin
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi

The coloration of the corals is also depending on thesalts you use
and if the salts contains to much Trace elements you wil get brown corals.We checked severals salts also in UK available salts and they was the same
in coral reaction and water parameters
In our european experience we know that the salts change sometimes the paramatern and the reaction of the corals is from batch to batch different.

Greets CLaude

Trigger Man
01-06-2009, 04:33 AM
Do you have proof of this???

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47990

Claude please note the differences between the RSCP and the H2Ocean as listed in this 1 independent study and I have more studies if you have time. I have been following this thread closely and am looking for a proven coral system, not one based on conjecture.

Fencer It looks like you are doing a great job and the Fauna Marin system is looking promising. Remember that information without proof is only gossip, (from me included) so keep up the studying and keep up the good work.

Kevin

I would like to know where you got the info from? I switched from RBS to H2Ocean a little while back and my coral continue to look good. Like Kevin said, the Red Sea salt tested different then the H2Ocean salt. From my findings on the few buckets I've used now (from 2 different batches) the test results that I have found are very similar to those listed on the container. If it is just a repackaged salt I would like to know.

Fauna Marin
01-06-2009, 07:18 AM
HI

I think you missunderstand me due to my bad english
i talk about Red Sea Coral Pro and there are many salts on the market which make brown corals if you work with a Low nutrition system
This means not this salts have a bad quality.
maybe there have to much Trace elements in which you can only see
if the corals are bright.
In normal Systems you cannot see this
We use long time RSCP in our own systems at the moment we check another
salt to see which is the best in combinaton to the Ultralith System

The tests which i do 6 month ago showed that what i said
Greets claude

fencer
01-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Prams Jan 19

Ca...450 ppm
Mg...1400
Potassium....340 mg/l
pH...7.99
dKH.....7.4
Phosphate...less than 0.3ppm
Nitrates....less than 0.2 ppm
Salinity 31 ppt ... a little high will lower
Conductivity.....53.5 mEq
Redox...avg 337 mV( would like it higher)

I would like to review:

Currently I am dosing:

PT 1.........5ml
PT 2.........10ml
PT 3.........10ml
PT 4.........5ml
MinS.......3ml
Bak...........0.5ml
Bio............4 drops every 3 days
zeolite........0.5 l...have not changed yet
Amin...........not dosing
Organic ......not dosing
10% water change/week
Carbon change one / month
Phosphate remover......not using
Claude...
Should I continue this dosing rate?
When should I adjust the power trace dosing(what are my indicators)?

Fauna Marin
01-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Hi Fencer

Please use same dosing
reduce the Bio to 4 drops weekly

Did you filtered over carbon ? if yes how much
and which changes ?
Redox is ok Salinity can be better at 34
but iám wondering why you MG and CA is so high ?
greets claude

fencer
01-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Hi Claude

Same dosing.
Dropping Bio to 4 drops weekly.
I will raise salinity to 34.

I use one litre of Carbon in a reactor. The reactor sits in the sump and only feeds back into the sump. In other words the carbon filtered water never goes in the main tank directly. The carbon reactor pump flows about 100 l/ hr. As for the Mg and Ca. My Mg has always been high and the Ca is due to the new salt being used. I could slow down the Ca reactor flow. But the Ca has remained constant( I have been testing this every day since I started using the new salt)

Fauna Marin
01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
HI Fencer

which kind of carbon you use
what make your corals
greets claude

fencer
02-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi Claude
I am using Kent Marine Reef Carbon

I am not sure what you are asking, "what make your corals" please clarify
- I have 85 % sps in the tank mostly acropora sp(60%) but also have other sps species in the tank
-any recommendations?

Other notes
1. I have noticed my pod population has dropped drastically
2. I was moving some rock work in the main tank and caused most of the acros to start releasing "slime" into the tank. This was enough toxin released in the tank to cause signifigant tissue loss in the montis, birdsnest and echino. Pollioporas suffered tissue loss to a lesser extent. LESSON: never do aggressive landscaping in the tank when you have a lot of sps.

Aqua-Digital
02-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Hiya

Claude means what breed of corals etc

Fauna Marin
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
IH Fencer

hmm i did not know this carbon
it is pelltized or small granule ?

Please check the Ph swing and Po4 level of this carbon

you are right a massive landscaping can bring a loto f problems
check here also your Po4 level with a heat test
greets claude

fencer
03-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Hi Claude
This is a pellet type carbon...I suspect it is pH 7 or higher as is safe for reef and cichlid use. I checked it for phosphates and it did not show any trace. pH swing was also small. As a result of that moving rock around I did lose one SPS by STN others were damaged but have recovered.

Water tests to come on Friday/Sat. Here are some comparison photos:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5153ab.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5155ab.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5144ab.jpg

Here is all the images from the day ultra was started;

fencer
03-11-2009, 06:35 AM
The Monti on the upper right side of this photo has not responded to Ultralith. O suspect it might be the light also:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5159a.jpg

fencer
03-11-2009, 06:36 AM
I would like to review:

Currently I am dosing as of Mar 10th:

PT 1.........5ml
PT 2.........10ml
PT 3.........10ml
PT 4.........5ml
MinS.......3ml
Bak...........0.5ml
Bio............4 drops every week
zeolite........0.5 l...have not changed yet
Organic ......not dosing
10% water change/week
Claude...
Should I continue this dosing rate?
When should I adjust the power trace dosing(what are my indicators)?

michika
03-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Photos look great.

What kind of time daily, weekly, etc. do you put in with this system?

Fauna Marin
03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
HI

This montipora need full light and very very low nutrition to
increase the coloration.

Please change 50 % of the ultralith now
add 0.5 ml more BAK and let run the system.

Be careful with the carbon i cannot say something to that carbon
no experience with this brand

Greets claude

bigblack
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Great thread been thinking of going on ultra, But one thing concerns me I am using h20 ocean salt right now and did not know it was a rebadged red sea salt !!! I feel quite ripped off since this is much more expensive the RSCS, I was told that this was a high quality salt, going to have a word with my LFS. If i go on ultra should i stop using this salt and change to something else that is high quality, what should i change to?

Aqua-Digital
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
We suggest using Reef Crystals this has been tested to be the most stable and also works well with Ultra Lith

fencer
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Catherine I spend about 5 minutes a day dosing Ultra additives and water change weekly.

Claude

I will do this tonight

Change 50 % of the ultralith
Add 0.5 ml more BAK to a dosage of 1 ml/day

I don't really see any problems with the carbon. but if you would private message me I will consider changing to your recommended carbon or tell me what you are looking for in selecting carbon. How often do you change Carbon?

Aqua-Digital
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Hiya

In regards to carbon, Claude developed Ultra CarbL this is lab tested not to have any impurities. the other important thing with carbL due to the way it is processed the carbon last a lot longer than other carbons of similar quality on the market and as such cuts down maintenance times and costs in the running of

Here is the blurb

Ultra-Carb L is an acitvated carbon specifically made for permanent and long-term use.

Extremely pure, vapour-activated and pre-washed activated carbon for efficient removal of yellowness, turbidity and harmful toxins, essential for maintaining good water quality in any aquarium. Ultracarb is almost entirely free of phosphate and has an extremely high capacity. Ultracarb is specifically made for permanent and long-term use but should be exchanged every 30 days. Suitable for freshwater and marine aquaria, cleans the water without any negative side effects.

christyf5
03-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Hiya

In regards to carbon, Claude developed Ultra CarbL this is lab tested not to have any impurities. the other important thing with carbL due to the way it is processed the carbon last a lot longer than other carbons of similar quality on the market and as such cuts down maintenance times and costs in the running of

Here is the blurb

Ultra-Carb L is an acitvated carbon specifically made for permanent and long-term use.

Extremely pure, vapour-activated and pre-washed activated carbon for efficient removal of yellowness, turbidity and harmful toxins, essential for maintaining good water quality in any aquarium. Ultracarb is almost entirely free of phosphate and has an extremely high capacity. Ultracarb is specifically made for permanent and long-term use but should be exchanged every 30 days. Suitable for freshwater and marine aquaria, cleans the water without any negative side effects.

Hey, not to hijack your thread Fencer but I just finished a large container of UltraCarbL, there were a ton of little white granules towards the bottom of the container, what the heck were these things and were they supposed to be in there? can they go in with the carbon into the tank??

Aqua-Digital
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
This is just binding residue should look like tiny white bits.

fencer
05-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Notes
The use of this system has a an unexpected side effect all the softies are doing very well in the tank. I had trouble getting duncans to grow which now not an issue. The other issue is that it has spurred the growth of Apistia. SPS polyp extension has been excellent and growth has been good. I have plans to increase the lighting of the tank to 250 MH to increase growth rates.

Prams May 17

Some pictures will follow.

Ca...450 ppm
Mg...1400 ppm
Potassium....not done
pH...7.92
dKH.....7.4
Phosphate...less than 0.15ppm
Nitrates.... 3 ppm (due to the introduction of fish)
Salinity 32 ppt
Conductivity.....55.5 mEq
Redox...avg 320 mV( would like it higher)

I would like to review:

Currently I am dosing:

PT 1.........5 ml
PT 2.........10 ml
PT 3.........10 ml
PT 4.........5 ml
MinS.......3 ml
Bak...........1.0 ml
Bio............4 drops every week
zeolite........0.5 l added an additional 0.5l
Organic ......not dosing
10% water change/week

fencer
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Here are some picture shots as of May 20 under 12K/Actininc VHO's:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5176.jpg

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5180.jpg

Here is the same filed with 14K MH and actinics much earlier

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5147a.jpg

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5150a.jpg

fencer
08-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Update Aug 2
This is a short update.
1. I had a chance to use DDH20 salt. If you are considering the ultralith system: DO NOT use this salt. It is not compatible with this system. 95 % of SPS's all browned out or lost their color. This is not a bad salt...just not for Ultra users. I have switched back to Coralife
2. There are now 250 MH's on the main system with 4 t5 HO's
3. The skimmer was upgraded to a Vertex 180
4. There was a major accident in the tank(lost 75% of the volume) due to a bad check valve and a bad storm. I had to refill the tank using DDH2O. Note the loss of color happen before this accident. Lost several colonies because of stress, temp etc. The system is stable but far from normal
5. All additives dosing have remained the same. I have started dosing with Ultra Amin at the rate of 5 ml per day
6. Pictures when the system heals

buddyreefer
08-03-2009, 07:26 AM
curious to know what the reason dd is not compatible with an ulns.

fencer
08-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I wish I knew....I can only comment on what has happened. And I don't want to start a flame war....so I no longer comment about the DDH20 Salt

bignose
08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi fencer how's the tank? Last time we talked you said that your corals browned out.

fencer
08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
The tank is has bounced back after I restarted using my old salt. It may take a bit longer for the colours to come fully back. No frags at the exchange this month...next month. I switched from MH to T5HO...lets see how that affects the growth rate

fencer
01-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi all...it has been a bit for an update.
All the water prams have remained stable and all sps are growing well. The only changes I made was moving from 175 MH to 250 MH on the main tank and the NEW growth tank. I have been also adding Ultra Organics and Ultra Amin(amino acids). I did experiment with a small zeovit side tank. What I found out that it is possible to intergrate some of the zeovit products with the Ultralith program, contributing synergistic effects. I have put in a new SPS growth tank this weekend( one of the top 10 things never to do..shutting down tanks). This will showcase better what Ultra can do. Here are picts of the tank and the SPS. So I will be documenting this tank and the main tank as well. I wrote and Ultra guide but when my harddrive took the big crash I lost it. I will at some point write another one soon...

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/DSCN5229a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/DSCN5232a.jpg

fencer
01-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Here are more pictures. Most of these corals have been with the Ultra program for over a year. Some less than 6 months. But color retention and growth is excellent in the newer additions. I will post some comparsion shots later

Jan 24 2010

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5270a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5265a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5264a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5262a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5261a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5260a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/DSCN5256a.jpg

fencer
05-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Updated May 24 /10
Here are some picts. I am now using Ultralith 3x weekly. There have been some losses due baking my corals. Below are a few shots using Laurie's camera.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240408a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240411a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240414a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240418a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240419a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240420a.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr330/fencer07/Ultra%20Test/P5240421a.jpg

Aqua-Digital
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
when you say balking do you mean by stripping the nutrients too low or by literal light baking (bleaching)?

fencer
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Baking=lost water level in main tank and the lights cooked my corals for a couple of hours

Aqua-Digital
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
EEk, yep that would do it :(