PDA

View Full Version : Ideas?

Ian
10-11-2008, 01:57 AM
I got home last night to find my branching frogspawn was dead. It looked fine 12 hours before now all 5 heads are now gone completely, no tissue is lefton any stocks. I have had it for about 3 months and it has been in the same location for 6 -8 weeks.

All my parameters are fine and everything else is looking great.
I have done 2 25% water changes since yesterday and continue to check parameters ever few hours and all seems well.

Any ideas what could have happened?

Kostas
10-11-2008, 02:21 AM
hey i'm sorry to hear that -

my frogspawn for the last two days have not opened up fully and i am worried it might die - did you notice yours doing that also or did it just die with no sign of it?

Delphinus
10-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Without knowing anything else and not seeing beforehand, but my guess is brown jelly disease. Onset is quick and sudden, and rather complete. Ie., it only takes a few hours to melt the flesh away. I can't remember if it's protozoan or bacterial .. Euphyllia sp. (torch, frogspawn, hammer, etc.) is rather prone to this disease.

Ian
10-12-2008, 06:02 AM
thanks for that. yeah it was openig fully the day before I did notice one head was a little small but didn't really think it was much more than just a coral pouting....next time I got a chance to really look at my tank bright white bare bracnches. Good news is no signs of any more losses and another partial water change today.