PDA

View Full Version : Grouper to good large home

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-11-2008, 12:26 AM
So sad....

Haven't had this guy very long but after a long talk last night with my fiance, we have realized that we will not be moving anytime soon and therefore are not going to be able to set up my 240G tank for a few years. So it has been an extremely hard decision (I bought the big tank just for him) but I think I need to find a new home for him. I would be able to keep him in my current tank for about a year most likely but I get way too attached to my fish and would never want to see him go! I think its best for him to go now :cry:

He is a 7-8" Variola albimarginata or White Edged Lyretail Grouper. Reaching about 2' in the ocean but more likely to stay around 20" in aquariums. Very mild mannered fish but will eat anything he can fit in his mouth! So basically anything under about 3". Very peaceful but is an aggressive eater and eats lots, so a big aggressive tank would be best.

FREE to a good tank at least 180G and please let me know what tankmates he would be with. Bigger than 180G would be better. I do have ich in my tank, so I will be QTing him for you before I let him go unless you want to do it but he needs to be QT'd. He has NOT shown any signs of ich but certainly has been in contact with it and I don't want him to introduce it to your tank.

Pic...Red guy in the middle :D

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/Digi036-1.jpg

PM me for more info or if your interested. I would not refuse a frag in return for him :) But I am more interested in finding him a good home. If I can't find one then I may have to just move into a house after all!

Oh and no way hes being shipped. Just way too big and Im not putting him through that stress.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-11-2008, 02:50 AM
I know this is going to be hard to find him a home so I think I will start QTing him tomorrow and if after the QT period no one has any interest or a good home for him, I will try to take him to a LFS. I really hope not to do this because I prefer to know where he is going but I think it may be best.

karazy
10-11-2008, 02:54 AM
this makes me so sad
to see that you have to give up such beautiful specimen.
if i lived in vancouver
and had a big tank i would totaly take him

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-11-2008, 03:03 AM
this makes me so sad
to see that you have to give up such beautiful specimen.
if i lived in vancouver
and had a big tank i would totaly take him

Oh trust me, it makes me so sad too! So, so sad. Its just one of those situations where I feel like someone else can give him a better home right now. I bought him because we were looking at selling our condo and buying a house within the next year or so but I have lost a large amount of my salary in the past few months due to the US economy (I get paid in US $, by a US television network) and will not be able to set up my big tank for a while. I just feel guilty keeping him right now.

reptile guy
10-11-2008, 03:22 AM
I'll take him after the quarantine. In the middle of setting up a 300 gallon tank with a 120 gallon sump for my dragon eel and lions and could use some more color. Have a 120 gallon for them right now but the new tank will be up and running in a couple weeks

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-11-2008, 03:26 AM
I'll take him after the quarantine. In the middle of setting up a 300 gallon tank with a 120 gallon sump for my dragon eel and lions and could use some more color. Have a 120 gallon for them right now but the new tank will be up and running in a couple weeks

I will PM you when I get a moment. Where are you located?

justinl
10-11-2008, 06:06 AM
oh man justin! im sad to see you have to let this big guy go; what a beautiful fish.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-11-2008, 06:47 AM
oh man justin! im sad to see you have to let this big guy go; what a beautiful fish.

Its not so much I HAVE to as much as I think its the right thing to do...

I don't think I can count on setting my big tank up for a good few years. I debated setting it up at my parents place (they don't mind and thats where its being stored) but it means a lot of work for them! They are quite young and are up to it but I don't know...doesn't seem right.

EDIT: Found a great home but he is most likely staying now. I can't part with him I don't think. If he does go though, he is spoken for.