PDA

View Full Version : Modding Coralife light fixture

aquatechy
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
hi everybody,

I want to upgrade the lighting on my tank. I have a 48" coralife aqualight pro 150 watt fixture. Any thought on how I can transform it into a 250-watt fixture?? Right now, the way it looks is to change the holders for the bulbs and the ballasts. Anybody know where i could get corallife ballasts? i might have to redo the wiring so that I can use different ballasts.

thanxx:mrgreen:

xtreme
10-10-2008, 07:15 PM
If you are planning on buying new ballasts I would recommend looking at different brands other than coralife. I have seen first hand the difference a good ballast makes. Icecap, PFO etc are way brighter than coralife.

Okguy
10-10-2008, 07:17 PM
This link should get you started.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37233

good luck!

parkinsn
10-10-2008, 07:31 PM
If you are planning on buying new ballasts I would recommend looking at different brands other than coralife. I have seen first hand the difference a good ballast makes. Icecap, PFO etc are way brighter than coralife.

As have I..... I hooked up a PFO ballast next to my coralife to see the diffrence and the diffrence is night and day, FYI the socket's for 250w and 150w are not the same size so you might have to do some cutting and what not

mseepman
10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I did an Aqualight Pro mod which switched out the PC's for T5HO's. This really improved my lighting and I did it for probably less than what the MH mod would cost. Here is a link to thread...http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40368

I had to pull out some pics as my photo quota was full but you will get the general idea. If I can help at all...let me know.

aquatechy
10-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. Give me some time to review all the ideas posted. if i have any questions, i'll ask. thank you.

aquatechy
10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Mark,

I really like your idea of changing out the PC for T5HO's. Right now, i have a somewhat hardtime keeping SPS corals. Will changin these out help me? i.e. does it make the light brighter??
So, here is one of the first question I will probably ask you::mrgreen:
Is there any way of doing it on a lower budget? I just had a spending spell on my tank, and my funds are running low. Not that I can't make it, it just would be nice if it didn't cost as much. :biggrin:

Thanks you so much.