PDA

View Full Version : Sump/Skimmer Question

MMAX
10-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm planning on converting my 55 gal freshwater to a reef tank this winter. If I set up a 30 to 40 gal sump under it would I need a skimmer to handle 55 gallons or 80 to 90 gallons?

Trigger Man
10-08-2008, 10:04 PM
A good protein skimmer is always a good idea, as it will remove a tonne of stuff from the water. When it really comes down to it you need to figure out how heavy of a load are you putting into the tank. I had a 50 G tank (stocking fish I no longer wanted in my main tank) with no sump or skimmer with a medium fish load, but I did water changes religously. A year and a half later everything got sick and died a couple of days later, so I always wondered if the same would have happened if I had put a sump and skimmer in. So if you have the money it is a good idea to get one I say.

MMAX
10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I guess I should have worded my question this way.....Do I need a skimmer capable of handling just the main tank of 55 gallons or do I need a bigger one to compensate for the sump size as well?

michika
10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
You do not HAVE to have a skimmer, but its a good idea if you want a heavy bioload as noted above.

When you are looking at skimmer sizes you need something that will handle your total volume, display and sump included, plus any extra if you are running a heavy bioload. Most of the ratings on the boxes should be taken more as guidlines then anything else.

Parker
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
For the most part skimmers are over rated so your going to want to pick one up that is rated above your total water volume.

Maybe see if you can find a deal on a used EuroReef RS135 or a skimmer of similar quality.

MikeP
10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
+1

for the most part skimmers are over rated so your going to want to pick one up that is rated above your total water volume.

Maybe see if you can find a deal on a used euroreef rs135 or a skimmer of similar quality.