PDA

View Full Version : Activated carbon

Jack
03-07-2002, 01:16 AM
When I am going to be running carbon on my reef takn, I don't want it causing algae blooms I have heard of some brands causing(cheap brands). I was wondering which brands you guys use and trust, how often used, changed, etc, etc. Thanks

Mak
03-07-2002, 01:30 AM
I was recomended by a few to use Kent Marine[ I have been using this on my freshwater Discus tanks for 3 years], this works really well and won't stain your tank at all. Roughy once a month for 3 days only. All depends on your bio-load.

titus
03-07-2002, 01:35 AM
Hello,

Yes Kent is what I use. I used one that came with my Marineland HOT Magnum canister filter back when I knew nothing and guess what, algae all over the place.

However, I do have to build my own canister filter in order to ensure that the water flows through the media. It'll be handy but won't work until my new Dolphin pump arrives. Hahahahahaha. 3000 gph on a 20g system dude!

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 01:56 AM
Jack;
I use Kent carbon, does not cause excess algae as far as what i have experienced in my system. I do run it continually and change in on a monthly basis. I know i should only run it for a few days i guess but i suppose i am lazy to take it out of the canister.
cheers.

Jack
03-07-2002, 04:47 AM
Hey guys, well Im gonna go with kent carbon then. Can't beat personaly testimonies. Thanks alot. The last thing anyone wants is algae!

Titus, are you crazy with that pump? I bet it could drain a pool real quick! Gonna need large overflow bulkheads to keep up.. maybe 4 inch?? lol. Well, my tank's setup tonight, looks great. Now it makes me want a Ca reactor, but not now! I gotta save my $$ first. But I will keep in touch. But with the CO2 tank and stuff, seems complicated and a pain in the a$$.

titus
03-07-2002, 06:05 AM
Hello,

What? I'm crazy. Think about it, a Solar 1000-L1 controlled Icecap 660, a Bullet 2 + waste collector, a Korallin C-1501 reactor (too sucky), then a large Canreef ca reactor, a refugium, a 33 gallon top off resovoir, a busted Dolphin SST-1200 pump, in addition a few things here and there, all for a 20g tank!

The reason I'm stepping up to the Ampmaster 3600 gph pump is because my old Dolphin pump failed and they offered a trade in. Further, it's used to drive my skimmer primarily. I'm not going to use it to pump all 3600 gph in my 20g. Gosh I know better than that. :D

Actually when I was using the 1200gph pump to drive my skimmer only, I still wanted more flow in the sump. So 3600gph to drive skimmer, the new filter chamber, and does return is about right. I can always throttle it down.

Okay, who else is shaking their heads here?!

Jack
03-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Haha, wow... so defensive. Do you think I WAS SERIOUS! :D But that's a lot of gear for a tank that size. Why don't you buy a bigger tank? Tanks are probably the cheapest things in this hobby ;) Talk to you later Titus.

titus
03-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Hello,

1) A small tank is much more challenging.
Okay that's not really a reason.

2) I do want a bigger tank and would make one myself. However, I've been a bit busy for the next little while so no time yet.