PDA

View Full Version : light reflector question

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-06-2008, 03:25 AM
i have an inwall 40gln tank.
2*100w blue actinics paralelle to the tank 1*400w iwasaki crossing the tank.
what type of reflector is best to work with for a DIY.
just a thought mirrored reflector,galvanised steel,crunched tin foil dome shaped,...

MikeP
10-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I've been thinking of upgrading my reflectors to something like this...

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_RO2&title=Reflectors&type=product

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-07-2008, 05:03 AM
i was thinking of something like that or i might DIY with reflective mirrors
for my setup it has to be DIY

AJ_77
10-07-2008, 03:35 PM
just a thought mirrored reflector,galvanised steel,crunched tin foil dome shaped,...I hope you get a manufactured solution like the one linked above - these DIY options mentioned are troubling, and you definitely want something safe.

mirrored reflector = hot spots
galvanised steel = poor reflector (so much better available)
crunched tin foil dome shaped = potential disaster

Is that the same 400w halide you've had for years? Maybe just go with the tubes (mix in a 10K) and see how it goes.

I know the DIY route looks cheaper, but there's real safety concerns with some of the electrical shortcuts we make. (Been there, done that.) Spend a few bucks for better results and some peace of mind.

spreerider
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
polished aluminum works as a good reflector, its probably easiest to buy a cheap hyrdoponics reflector and then mod it to fit into your tank.
There isnt much that can go wrong electricaly with just a socket and reflector isnt electrical, just connect 2 wires to the socket and should connect a ground wire to your reflector just for safety.

Delphinus
10-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I hope you get a manufactured solution like the one linked above - these DIY options mentioned are troubling, and you definitely want something safe.

mirrored reflector = hot spots
galvanised steel = poor reflector (so much better available)
crunched tin foil dome shaped = potential disaster

Is that the same 400w halide you've had for years? Maybe just go with the tubes (mix in a 10K) and see how it goes.

I know the DIY route looks cheaper, but there's real safety concerns with some of the electrical shortcuts we make. (Been there, done that.) Spend a few bucks for better results and some peace of mind.

+1

If absolutely must be DIY, then look at aluminium flashing and self-polish to a shine using Brasso.

polished aluminum works as a good reflector, its probably easiest to buy a cheap hyrdoponics reflector and then mod it to fit into your tank.
There isnt much that can go wrong electricaly with just a socket and reflector isnt electrical, just connect 2 wires to the socket and should connect a ground wire to your reflector just for safety.

Not much can go wrong connecting a socket, but using a mirror or aluminium foil for a reflector is not something you'd want an insurance adjuster to know about if something bad happened. A decent reflector is as little as $40, a WICKED reflector like say a LumenMax or Lumenarc or whatever is in the $100-150 range. It's good to be thrifty but in the grand scheme of things these are no worse to swallow financially than buying a nice fish or a nice coral.

Also, I'm sort of curious the dimensions of the 40g. A 400W is a huge light for such a small tank. You could likely get as nice results with a smaller lamp (250W) and a smaller electrical bill... the money you'll save going to a smaller wattage will pay for a reflector. :)