PDA

View Full Version : Hydor Koralia Magnum 8?

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I was going to buy the MP40 Vortech but I am wondering if the new Koralia's might be worth looking into. Half the price too!

Anyone using any of the new Magnum powerheads?

I have had 4 of 8 koralia powerheads fail (either just stop working or leak voltage), another one break at the magnet holder and another the magnet was getting wet and rusted in my tank. So I have had problems with so many of them that I wasn't even going to consider buying Koralia again but maybe the magnums are better?

DanG
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
You can get 2 MP40's that will work in sync for $880, to match that, you'd need 2 K8's @ $238 each and the wavemaker for $340 for a total of $816. The K8's will still add heat to the water, so if you have heat issues in the summer, that will not help your issues.

i have crabs
10-05-2008, 11:29 PM
i dont think the magnums can be hooked up to the controller, what are the dimensions of the tank? and whats in it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-06-2008, 12:20 AM
You can get 2 MP40's that will work in sync for $880, to match that, you'd need 2 K8's @ $238 each and the wavemaker for $340 for a total of $816. The K8's will still add heat to the water, so if you have heat issues in the summer, that will not help your issues.

Very good point. I don't need two though. Just one. But you are right. And even with one vortech I can control its speed and patterns which I can't do with the koralia unless I buy the darn controller which is over priced in my opinion.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-06-2008, 12:25 AM
i dont think the magnums can be hooked up to the controller, what are the dimensions of the tank? and whats in it.

72x20x20 and softies. Very little LR in the display. Its a peninsula tank, so I want to get rid of the powerhead on the side that sticks out into the room. I think one vortech on the overflow side would be more than enough along with my return and current koralia. Especially for soft corals. I know the vortech's flow would hit the far wall no problem. So would the koralia though and I may not need to control the flow anyways.

I have a 240G though for the future and I want to use whatever I buy on that eventually.

Here is an idea of how the current tank is set up (stand/canopy need to be painted still :) :

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/Picture008.jpg

i have crabs
10-06-2008, 01:53 AM
i would put a k8 on each end,
i have 2 vortech's on a 4' tank you would need 2 minimum for a 8' tank or the far end would have almost nothing, i would skip the controller and buy 2 k8s