PDA

View Full Version : starting Zeovit

steve fedyk
10-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I got 1.5L reactor, starter package from J&L's. I would like some tips on starting with an astablished tank.
What to watch for and what time of day is best for dosing.
Is it best to dose in tank, sump, refrugium, or reactor.
Do you use more or less Carbon
How long would you run the reactor (3hrs on 3hrs off) more or less

I'm biulding PO4 reactor to run a close loop, off me Ca reactor. I think with such a small turnover of the reactor it should be fine. There is lots of PO4 and NH4 from feeding and what every makes its way from the Ca reactor.

I will try to post before and after 1 mounth pic's.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
10-05-2008, 12:11 AM
You won't want to use a PO4 reactor. It will stunt the developement of the bacterial colonies.

Other than that, start with half the recommended everything including the media and build up as you start to notice positive changes.

Finally, splitting the dosing of Start 2 over several additions daily has a much greater effect on the system than dosing one large amount once a day.

Jason McK
10-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Yes do not use a PO4 reactor this will not be a good think in a Zeo Tank. As Oceanic said the bactiria needs PO4 to grow.

You have probably already done so but it's best to read this guide and follow it to a T

ZeoVit Guide (http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf)

Canuckgod420
10-05-2008, 01:47 AM
this is a good place to find all your needed info....http://www.zeovit.com.

steve fedyk
10-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks for all the links.
I think I'm going to hold off on the PO4 reactor on closed loop for the Ca reactor.
After seening Jason tank last saturday I whated to try Zeovits for my self.:mrgreen:

RuGlu6
10-05-2008, 04:54 AM
I am off of ZEO now...,

be carefull with flow rates.
Follow instructions to the "T".

here is my story.

I did all things right, when i started my tank:
RODI water, cycled the tank for 4 month, 6 month before i put any fish in it, good skimmer etc. I had perfect SPS tank with zero hair algae.
I guess it was a mistake to introduce ZEO in to the established tank.

Now after ZEO thing ....
I've red all ZEO forums and manuals many times and followed all but i just couldnt make this thing work ...
I lost $300+ worth of SPS in 4 days, and slowly got tank full of GH algae.
Tank is recovering slowly now.
Lets just say ZEO did not work for me. I gave remaning ZEO rocks back to J&L.

slakker
10-05-2008, 05:28 AM
I'd love to see how it works for you... I've been thinking about going zeo on and off, but it seems like such a hassle... so if the results are there, maybe I'd get off the fence...

steve fedyk
11-12-2008, 06:46 AM
It's been just over 5 weeks now. Just about every thing is looking good. My green staghorn with blue tips and small frag of a green slimmer is don't doing to well. Started beaching, but got a test kit for Potassium and found the level to be low. Started dosing K balance potassium and they are starting to make a come back.
I like the resalt of using zeovit so far.

First day readings were
Mg 1300
CA 440
KH 7
PO4 0.03
N03 0.2
sality 1.025
temp 79-80

Todays test were
Mg 1300
Ca 440
KH 8-7.5
PO4 not detectible
NO3 0.2
Potassium 250
sality 1.025
temp 79-80

What are some of the differant addittives reefer are usiing on they tanks.