PDA

View Full Version : GSM Behaviour

OCDP
10-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I put a GSM into my tank on Wednesday, and she settled in very well. She ate a nice serving of Selcon/Garlic soaked mysis yesterday, and again the same meal just a few minutes ago.

But I have noticed today, it seems like she's being blown around by the powerheads. I can't tell if it's because she is weak (shouldn't be), or because she is just very unfamiliar with pumps, as the tank she came from had no powerheads. Some additional info, this is the first day I have seen her being blown around by the pumps. Last night before bed, she chose to sleep near the water surface, right by my Seio 820. I hope it's because she was sleeping, she would get near the intake and get sucked in a bit, but quickly pulled away from it. Just seemed odd... now today, she is still hanging out near the top of the tank, and the powerheads are just taking her for a ride... she still seems like she's in control and can right herself, but I just find the whole thing odd that she's choosing to hang out around there, and not where she has been, where the flow doesn't blow her around everywhere.

I don't know if anyone is really able to provide any real suggestions, but it just has me a bit worried? There is no signs of parasites, no ick, no stringy poop, nothing I can see causing her distress or making her weak.

My last clowns had this happen to them, but that's because they WERE weak and on the way out, they weren't strong enough to prevent them from being blown around... or weren't able to figure out that the lower half of the tank has less flow.

Any ideas?? So far so good otherwise, no ick (yet..) no other visible parasites.. she eats very well, she looks extremely healthy, nice and fat and vibrant colouration.

Thanks for any input.. and sorry for the long-ish post.

JDigital
10-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I found with my Percs... they liked taking a ride on the current blast from the PH's... and I've read about it before on ReefCentral... If she didn't like it she would move..

I wouldn't worry about it..

Trigger Man
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I found with my Percs... they liked taking a ride on the current blast from the PH's... and I've read about it before on ReefCentral... If she didn't like it she would move..

I wouldn't worry about it..

I have found the same thing, if it is eating well and showing no signs of disease then it should be alright, and it will adjust. Just keep your eyes open to make sure there are no diseases onsetting and that it is still eating well.

OCDP
10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the input.. my nerves are on end with fish these days so I got pretty worried. She is still doing it, but I believe she is enjoying the PH rides... I'll try to get a pic of her soon.. she's a beauty. Should have kept a GSM looong ago.