PDA

View Full Version : Astrea Snails

Lofus
04-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Any idea where I can find some Astrea snails? I checked Big Al's and all they had were Zebra snails and Wai's is out.

Thanks,

Jim

kari
04-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Haven't seen any anywhere. Maybe we should gang up on a J&L live stock order. I think we should also look at breeding snails.

Bob I
04-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Haven't seen any anywhere. Maybe we should gang up on a J&L live stock order. I think we should also look at breeding snails.

Well I might be looking for a new Fighting Conch. Mine is now 2.5 inches long, which is bit big for a 50. Those of you with the larger refugiums should be able to breed snails. They seem to do it in Vancouver. :eek:

Quinn
04-19-2003, 11:00 PM
bob if you need to get rid of your fighting conch but can hold it for another month or so, i will take it off your hands. alternatively someone else can hold it for me. at that time i would also be interested in a group order of snails and hermits (cleaning crew in general).

kari
04-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Hey Bob;

Concerning snail breeding,
what size of refugium would you consider to be larger? I thought I'd give it a go, but I am not very confident on results (eg. mine is a mess and very small (35gal))
As far as I know most of us use snails for cleanup and I think it would be wise to breed the little guys instead of purchasing ocean scooped.
Have you researched much on this topic? There's always lots of info on say acro but I haven't come across much on this. I'd be very interested on info like where they are harvested etc.

kari
snail ignorant

Bob I
04-20-2003, 02:57 AM
Hey Bob;

Concerning snail breeding,
what size of refugium would you consider to be larger? I thought I'd give it a go, but I am not very confident on results (eg. mine is a mess and very small (35gal))
As far as I know most of us use snails for cleanup and I think it would be wise to breed the little guys instead of purchasing ocean scooped.
Have you researched much on this topic? There's always lots of info on say acro but I haven't come across much on this. I'd be very interested on info like where they are harvested etc.

kari
snail ignorant

Actually, I have no idea. I am always reading about baby snails on the reef forum. It always seems to be the West Coasters who are doing it. :confused:

Lofus
04-21-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm up for a J&L order. I was thinking of picking up a magnet from them as well.